Q. I have a small bump under the shaft of penis. Is that genital herpes?

Dr. Prathap
Published on Oct 21, 2017

I am 25 years old. My height is 6'1" and weight 163 lbs. I have a small bump under the shaft of my penis. It looks like that it could be from masturbation, but I am not sure. There is no itching or burning. It is not an open sore either. I recently had protected oral sex with a sex worker with no genital contact at all. The condom was on the whole time. I have attached a photo. I have a scar above it from surgery from a deformity at birth if you were wondering what that was. Also, I have been diagnosed with HPV in the past and had two separate warts around three years ago. I am currently on Zoloft and Wellbutrin XL.

Dr. Prathap

#

It appears to be a wart (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have a history of HPV (human papilloma virus) in the past, the wart should be the first concern.

HPV depending on the strain cause both genital and non-genital warts. They are not painful.

On long-standing, these warts or HPV infection will predispose to malignancy. You should have a constant check on the symptoms.

The differential diagnosis can be traumatic one which might be improving with time, but the negative point to this is no pain.

Another differential can be another sexually transmitted infection as you have had recent intercourse, but you have got protected sex and so it is unlikely.

1. HPV warts.
2. Mechanical traumatic ulcer.
3. STI (sexually transmitted infection).

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for the fast reply. So, Is the probability of genital herpes pretty low? I have no other symptoms associated with herpes, but that is why I am anxious. There is no pain or itching at all.

Dr. Prathap

#

Genital herpes is always associated with pain. As there is no pain, it is not herpes.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How common is it for a 21 year old to have vaginal cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have gotten my HPV shot. I do not smoke. I am a virgin and practice good genital hygiene. But, my vaginal area is very sensitive to soap, and it feels a little bumpy. But, I am not showing any signs of vaginal cancer like pelvic pain or unusual bleeding. Could it be due to some soap all...  Read Full »

Do genital warts appear above the pubic area?

Query: Hi doctor, Do genital warts appear above the pubic area? I have attached the picture for your reference.  Read Full »