Q. What complications can occur if I continued to have high blood sugar levels?

Published on Jun 12, 2018

I am male, 73 years old, height 179 cm, and weight 120 kg. Has diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, gout, slight renal failure, had a heart attack almost 10 years ago and underwent a procedure of having two stents in his heart. Cholesterol. Takes medication for his illnesses. His blood sugar levels are usually between 20 to 30 mmol takes Lantus Solostar 62 units and NovoRapid 60 units 2 to 3 times a day. What kind of complications can my dad get in the future if he continues to have high blood sugar levels?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Such high sugars may cause acute complications like dehydration, diabetic hyperosmolar state or diabetic ketoacidosis, which may be life-threatening. He should drink plenty of water to reduce the risk of dehydration. Also, in long-term, it can lead to heart disease, worsening of kidney disease and neuropathy, blindness, diabetic foot or gangrene. So on priority, his sugar should be brought under control.

As I mentioned, the diet should be optimized and insulin dose should be increased. His Lantus and NovaRapid need to be increased. So we need recent sugar levels. So either have a glucometer and measure it at home or get it tested from the nearby laboratory. Initially get before breakfast and post lunch levels done and later we will need some more readings for tight sugar control. So the dose needs to be increased depending upon the recent sugar levels.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is there such a thing as an insulin overdose? Will the increase of insulin cause any damage or make my dad fatter?

#

There are no significant risks other than low sugar level. It can cause skin changes at the injection site, may cause more fat but if his diet is under control then there this is less. But, in comparison with the risk of high sugars, these are less severe and do not exclude the use of higher doses of insulin. Has he been tried on medicines along with insulin in order to keep insulin dose less?

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt¬†20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your high blood sugar levels and from the lab results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you have uncontrolled diabetes and dyslipidemia, that is, high cholesterol. According to your HbA1C, it is recommen...  Read Full

How can ketone level be decreased in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetes patient. My sugar level in fasting is above 350 and I checked ketone in urine, it was found to be 4+. My height is 170 cm approximately and weight check found 62 kg. What can I do for ketone?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ketones usually develop more often in T1 diabetes. Especially when there is no adequate insulin and glucose levels are higher than 300 to 350 mg. It is necessary to take adequate water to eliminate those through urine. Avoid exercise when ketones are present. Try and...  Read Full

Will diabetes during pregnancy affect the baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 21 years old with type 1 diabetes. When she was 35 weeks pregnant, she had a cesarean section delivery. The baby's heartbeat stopped and they could not get it started. The doctors are blaming it to be due to diabetes. They said that the baby's blood acid was 25, which is five...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Diabetes is a big problem and so, the pregnancy during diabetes is labeled as high risk pregnancy. It is very uncertain to know what side effect might occur.¬†However, the side effects can vary from person to person. It is very difficult to commen...  Read Full