Q. What complications can occur if I continued to have high blood sugar levels?

I am male, 73 years old, height 179 cm, and weight 120 kg. Has diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, gout, slight renal failure, had a heart attack almost 10 years ago and underwent a procedure of having two stents in his heart. Cholesterol. Takes medication for his illnesses. His blood sugar levels are usually between 20 to 30 mmol takes Lantus Solostar 62 units and NovoRapid 60 units 2 to 3 times a day. What kind of complications can my dad get in the future if he continues to have high blood sugar levels?

#

Such high sugars may cause acute complications like dehydration, diabetic hyperosmolar state or diabetic ketoacidosis, which may be life-threatening. He should drink plenty of water to reduce the risk of dehydration. Also, in long-term, it can lead to heart disease, worsening of kidney disease and neuropathy, blindness, diabetic foot or gangrene. So on priority, his sugar should be brought under control.

As I mentioned, the diet should be optimized and insulin dose should be increased. His Lantus and NovaRapid need to be increased. So we need recent sugar levels. So either have a glucometer and measure it at home or get it tested from the nearby laboratory. Initially get before breakfast and post lunch levels done and later we will need some more readings for tight sugar control. So the dose needs to be increased depending upon the recent sugar levels.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is there such a thing as an insulin overdose? Will the increase of insulin cause any damage or make my dad fatter?

#

There are no significant risks other than low sugar level. It can cause skin changes at the injection site, may cause more fat but if his diet is under control then there this is less. But, in comparison with the risk of high sugars, these are less severe and do not exclude the use of higher doses of insulin. Has he been tried on medicines along with insulin in order to keep insulin dose less?

|