Q. Why is there diabetic neuropathy in spite of being on insulin?

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Although my mother is on insulin for 7 years, she has diabetic neuropathy and some complications since one week. Also, the doctor tried but the complications are not going.

#

You have not mentioned the age of your mother.

Diabetic neuropathy is a common complication seen in patients who have long-term or uncontrolled diabetes. It may not be completely reversible.

However, talk to your doctor about taking Vitamin B12 supplements and Gabapentin which may help relieve her symptoms to a certain extent. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. These drugs have to be prescribed by your doctor after assessment of your mother's clinical condition.

Also, consult a physiotherapist who could teach her some simple exercises to reduce the progress of neuropathy. Most important of all is to have blood sugar levels under good control and take care not to have any injuries.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|