Q. Why is there diabetic neuropathy in spite of being on insulin?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on May 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Although my mother is on insulin for 7 years, she has diabetic neuropathy and some complications since one week. Also, the doctor tried but the complications are not going.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

You have not mentioned the age of your mother.

Diabetic neuropathy is a common complication seen in patients who have long-term or uncontrolled diabetes. It may not be completely reversible.

However, talk to your doctor about taking Vitamin B12 supplements and Gabapentin which may help relieve her symptoms to a certain extent. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. These drugs have to be prescribed by your doctor after assessment of your mother's clinical condition.

Also, consult a physiotherapist who could teach her some simple exercises to reduce the progress of neuropathy. Most important of all is to have blood sugar levels under good control and take care not to have any injuries.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Why is there no weakness or tiredness in a patient with fasting sugar level 297?

Query: Hello doctor, My father's fasting sugar is 297. But my father is feeling better, no weakness, not feeling tired. Why?  Read Full »

My grandfather is suffering from the side effects of his medicines. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather has been a heart patient and diabetic for the last eight years. He has been taking Capoten 25 mg, Sofvasc 5 mg, Daonil 5 mg, and Loprin 75 mg. But due to these medications, he has recently started to suffer from its side effects. He has a throat infection and a ch...  Read Full »

My diabetic mother has pain and dryness of feet. What should she do?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is diabetic for last 11 years. She is on insulin for the last six years. Now, she is not feeling well, as she has a nerve pain in her foot and ankles. The skin of her foot is getting rough from the last year. She is losing her appetite and is very weak. She is currently on Novo...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now