Q. My diabetic mother has pain and dryness of feet. What should she do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Hello doctor,

My mom is diabetic for last 11 years. She is on insulin for the last six years. Now, she is not feeling well, as she has a nerve pain in her foot and ankles. The skin of her foot is getting rough from the last year. She is losing her appetite and is very weak. She is currently on Novomix, Azulix, Tazloc CT, and Astin.

#

I read your query about your mother and saw her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears that she has uncontrolled diabetes as well as diabetic neuropathy. I would suggest adding the following to her existing medications:
  1. Tablet Vildagliptin 50 mg once daily at lunch time.
  2. Tablet Neurobion forte twice a day.
  • These have to be taken lifelong.
  • In addition, ask her to walk 30 minutes every day.
  • Avoid carbohydrates and junk food. Drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day.
  • After three months, repeat her HbA1c and revert with reports.
  • Also, update me about her foot pain at that time because we can add another drug which is more potent.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Thanks for your prompt reply. My mom does yoga for an hour every day and she has 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.

#

• Although yoga is good for the flexibility, it does not help decrease blood sugar. For that, she needs to walk daily.

|