Q. My baby has developed a red colored rash around the anus area. What could it be?

Dr. Srinivas Gunda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

This is for my 22 days old baby girl. In the last 2 days she has developed some red coloured rash in the area surrounding the anus area. She feels irritated while passing stools. I have attached the picture of the same. Please advise.

#

I have viewed the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This is called diaper rash, commonly called the nappy rash.
  • If no loose stools are happening at present, this is a nappy rash.
  • This is common in infants who wear diapers for daily use and without adequate barrier protection. 
  • Avoid using diapers daily, use can be limited to night time. 
  • Cotton clothes and towels can be used instead, which can be washed with a disinfectant like dettol.

Management:

• Avoid prolonged use of diapers. Keep changing once in 6 hours if you have to use it continuously. 
  • Apply Siloderm ointment (Calamine) on the affected area and all the area of skin that comes in contact with diaper before applying diaper.
  • Avoid rubbing excessively while cleaning the affected area.
  • Use soft wipes for cleaning rather than any rough cloth.
  • If the rash is persistent, in spite of this ointment and if the rash spreads to different areas, visit a paediatrician for clinical examination.

Consult a paediatrician online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

We have used Siloderm ointment in the affected area and could see reduction in redness. But, still there are cracks around the anus. Baby is crying a lot while passing stool. Do we need to visit pediatrician? Or should I continue this cream? It has been 24 hours since we have started using this cream.

#

• If you are seeing an improvement you can wait for few more days. 24 hours is too less time for it to improve.
  • If you feel any new development or crying a lot for passing motion or bleeding from that area then you need to consult your pediatrician.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|