Q. I developed a rash after getting a massage. What to do?

Published on Mar 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I developed a rash after receiving a massage at a local massage center. What can I do about this?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• I suggest you try taking the following: Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Zinc oxide and Calamine lotion topically.
  2. Tablet Zyrtec (Cetirizine).
  • The Calamine will soothe the area, prevent itching and further redness. Zyrtec, which is an antihistamine, which will reduce allergic component, remove histamines from the spots, and remove the bumps.
  • Please monitor for a couple of days. If rashes are increasing, then you may require intravenous antihistamines, and possibly steroids also. If they decrease with medicine, continue the same for a week.
  • If you develop any pustules, you will require an antibiotic to prevent superadded infection. Avoid scratching or itching over the rashes. While bathing, you may add a teaspoon of baking soda to lukewarm water to prevent itching.

Do revert if you have any further query.

For further queries consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

So, did I have an allergic reaction to something that was used during the massage?

#

• Most probably, you are having an allergic reaction to something that was used in the massage. However, I am not fully sure about it. Though it was my first suspicion.
  • It may also be heat rashes, as the locations frequently rub against each other. Such rashes occur in tropical countries more, where the climate is hot and humid. Some abrasions could have occurred during the massage, and subsequent rubbing of skin over skin could have raised those bumps.
  • For the same, you are advised to wear loose fitting clothes, keep yourself hydrated and ventilated. Keep applying the lotion and avoid any sticky creams.

Do revert if you need anything.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

Can I take Hydroxyzine Hcl 25 mg while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is four months pregnant now. She has itchy palms. The doctor advised to take tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine hydrochloride). Is it safe to have this tablet during pregnancy? Kindly guide.  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now