Q. I am suffering from piles and infection around the anus. Please help.

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

I am suffering from piles from nearly about a year. Suddenly yesterday, I felt pain around my anus, and I had 101 F fever. I saw that there is an infection around my anus.

#

1. What do you mean to say by piles?
  2. Is it painless bright red blood in stools?
  3. How do you know it is an infection?
  4. Do you have constipation?

For an advice specific to your problem, please upload the past medical records and a detailed evolution of your symptoms. And a picture of the problem site.

Revert with more information to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Thank you for replying. I am a 27 year old married woman. This problem started about a year ago and my doctor told that it was hemorrhoids. I was almost cured after taking ayurveda medicines. But, now I have pain and bright red blood in stools. The pain is like needle entering my anus, it is a sharp pain. Today I saw little bumps around the anus. I have had a fever of 101 F yesterday, and I also have constipation. Please see the attachment and suggest some medicines. I am very worried.

#

I have seen your attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It shows old hemorrhoids called skin tags. This picture, along with the pain that you are describing is suggestive of an anal fissure. This is a tear in the wall of the anus, at the base of these skin tags, that is, sentinel piles.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Heal the fissure.
  2. Cure constipation.
  3. Treat internal bleeding hemorrhoids.
  4. Prevent all three of these from happening again.

To heal the fissure, I suggest you do the following:

1. Do sitz bath, take lukewarm water in a medium sized tub, put two teaspoons of ordinary salt per liter of water. Total 10 g salt per liter of water. Now sit in this water and try to push out on the anus. Try to make the water clean and sooth your anal region. Sit for around 15 minutes, 3 to 4 times every day for a month or so. Try to do at least twice per day if you are a working professional. It will decrease pain, itching, and help to heal the fissure. Every time after passing stools do sitz bath.
  2. For pain relief during passing stools as well as healing of the fissure, I suggest the following or equivalent generic combinations for at least three weeks, after that only sitz bath should be enough.
  3. Ointment Crema gel (Diltiazem 2 %), 10 minutes before passing stools and three times a day. It comes with an applicator that goes around 1 to 2 cm inside the anus. It relaxes the anal muscle so that the blood supply to the torn area improves and it heals faster.
  4. Ointment Prilox (Prilocaine 25 mg and Lidocaine 25 mg) five minutes before passing stools. This one is only for pain relief. Take a peanut size of ointment and apply with your finger at the opening. Though mostly safe, both these medications can have side effects in some patients, so stop usage if you feel dizzy, nervousness, or have blurring of vision.

For constipation, I suggest you do the following:

1. High fiber diet is the best long term control. A large platter of vegetable salad with or as a replacement for lunch or dinner. Something like two cucumbers, one tomato, one onion, red or yellow bell peppers, cottage cheese, soaked almonds, some salt, and a light spray of olive oil.
  2. You can take sprouts of legumes as part of breakfast. Whole cereal or whole wheat flour for bread. A cheaper alternative is Isabgol, 2 to 3 teaspoon twice a day, in milk, curd, or flavored drink powder at bedtime. You can grind it to a powder in your mixer with fennel if you like. To make it more palatable.
  3. Drink plenty of fluids. If you do not have any kidney or heart disease, take 3 to 4 liters of water every day. Keep on drinking at short intervals throughout the day.

For internal bleeding hemorrhoids, curing constipation treats these and also prevents these from troubling again. Some people need surgical treatment for bleeding hemorrhoids, but only if dietary measures are not effective in controlling the problem.

Regarding your fever of 101 F, it can be because of the pain itself or slight amount of bacteria in stools entering your body. Both will be taken care by the above-suggested treatment.

I hope that helps. Follow-up if you need any more information.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|