Q. Suffering from diarrhea after having spicy food. What to do?

Dr. Shaieka Islam Deeba

Three days back, I had food for dinner. The food was spicy. Next day, in the morning, I vomited it completely. I suffer from diarrhea for the past two days, and I feel tired. Please suggest me.

#

You are suffering from acute gastroenteritis. As you are feeling tired, you must take ORS (oral rehydration solution) after passing of each stool. Otherwise, you would become dehydrated. Take plenty of water and ORS. Avoid taking spicy foods. Avoid eating foods from outside. Take a healthy homemade meal. For vomiting, you must take antiemetics. You can take tablet Emistat 8 mg (Ondansetron) one tablet in the morning, afternoon and evening before having a meal for three days. Please say whether you have abdominal pain. You should not take medication on your own without consulting a doctor. Follow these instructions. If there is no improvement, then you can take an antibiotic.

| 

Can gastrointestinal infection last for three months?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male, and I am concerned about my health. I had an episode of possible food-borne illness, three months back. That time, I had shivers, fluttering pain in lower abdomen, fever, and high bilirubin. The symptoms have gone, except for occasional fluttering. My bilirubi...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now