Q. I have sore abdomen below the sternum and belly button. Is it gastroenteritis?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

I am a 20-year-old male. My abdomen is sore to touch for about two months. It is sore to the touch at the top of my abdomen below my sternum, and on the far left about an inch up from where my belly button would be. I went to a minor emergency about a week in, and I was told I most likely had gastroenteritis. I went to my primary care physician a few days later and got put on Omeprazole. I took it for about a month and went back to my PCP, and was then sent in for an ultrasound. Nothing serious was found with the ultrasound. Does this sound like a dietary service or something more serious?

#

Sore to touch abdomen for the last two months can be indicative of a few things. It can be gastritis, ulcer related pain, pain related to kidneys, and can also involve the renal tract. Do you have any fever? Does the pain change or subside after food? Do you have any acidity or digestion problems? Mostly if it was related to gastritis or ulcer, it can be due to improper diet and ulcer pain. However, you have taken Omeprazole and if it is not subsiding then that can be ruled out. If ultrasound is not conclusive, I will advise you to get a CT (computed tomography) scan of the whole abdomen done.

Until then I will advise the following medicines:

Ibuprofen 400 mg up to twice daily for three days after food (to rule out muscular pain, if the pain subsides you can stop after a few days), Omeprazole 20 mg once in the morning before breakfast for another five days. Syrup Sucralfate two teaspoons twice daily after food for another five days. Please give me a detailed dietary history and your food habits.

|