Q. I have sore abdomen below the sternum and belly button. Is it gastroenteritis?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Dec 18, 2019

I am a 20-year-old male. My abdomen is sore to touch for about two months. It is sore to the touch at the top of my abdomen below my sternum, and on the far left about an inch up from where my belly button would be. I went to a minor emergency about a week in, and I was told I most likely had gastroenteritis. I went to my primary care physician a few days later and got put on Omeprazole. I took it for about a month and went back to my PCP, and was then sent in for an ultrasound. Nothing serious was found with the ultrasound. Does this sound like a dietary service or something more serious?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Sore to touch abdomen for the last two months can be indicative of a few things. It can be gastritis, ulcer related pain, pain related to kidneys, and can also involve the renal tract. Do you have any fever? Does the pain change or subside after food? Do you have any acidity or digestion problems? Mostly if it was related to gastritis or ulcer, it can be due to improper diet and ulcer pain. However, you have taken Omeprazole and if it is not subsiding then that can be ruled out. If ultrasound is not conclusive, I will advise you to get a CT (computed tomography) scan of the whole abdomen done.

Until then I will advise the following medicines:

Ibuprofen 400 mg up to twice daily for three days after food (to rule out muscular pain, if the pain subsides you can stop after a few days), Omeprazole 20 mg once in the morning before breakfast for another five days. Syrup Sucralfate two teaspoons twice daily after food for another five days. Please give me a detailed dietary history and your food habits.

| 

Having abdominal pain and bloated feeling for five months. Could this be due to colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had abdominal pain for five months. It is mainly under the right side ribs along the right flank. I also have some pain on the left. I feel gassy and bloated. The stomach makes some crazy noises. I was constipated for a few months, but now I have constant diarrhea. I am going to ...  Read Full »

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »

What is the remedy for gas trouble, stomach bloating and loose stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old woman with symptoms of gas, major stomach bloating and loose stools for the past three days. I started to take Azee 500 two days ago because that is what I had at home but it has not resolved yet. Please help me.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now