Q. Are my symptoms after effects of viral gastroenteritis?

Answered by Dr. Noushif M and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Gastroenteritis or Diarrhea? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 22-year-old female. About 20 days back, my history was this: I had diarrhea for two days (thrice a day). I had a low-grade fever too during those two days. I managed to carry it over with natural supplements. But it did not subside. The next day, it worsened with watery stools and I started getting dehydrated since I could not take anything inside. I had a fever and severe shivering. I took Doxicycllin (three tablets in one dose), but I did not get better. Then, I started vomiting up too. So, I was taken to the hospital and prescribed oral medicines since I hesitated to get admitted because I was to write my CA exams in two days. So, I took the oral medicines. They were: Orni-O, Pan DSR, and Bifilac. But I did not get alright still as I could not take any food inside and I vomited blue foamy.

So, I was admitted and put on IV fluids and antibiotics. I felt little better but had the extreme discomfort in my tummy but I got discharged and followed oral medicines. The next day I was totally unwell, vomiting and watery stools (six to seven times). But the next day, on the day of my exam, this continued. So, I had to get admitted again and had a short session of IV fluids and medicines to stop my immediate symptoms as I needed to sit for three hours exam. So the JR there prescribed me to take Loperamide once in two hours. I took two pills as such and my loose stools got stopped and my bowel movements were nil.

My stomach got bloated and I could not eat anything. So again, we went on a second opinion where they prescribed Racedotil, Endogen, Emecet and Pantocid diagnosing as viral gastroenteritis. After this course, I had my dehydration gone by and started taking fluids but I did not have proper bowel movements. Then started my severe constipation which ended up hurting my colon and I took Dulcolax. After that, I passed loose stools for two days but then now I stopped taking Dulcolax.

But my botheration is my metabolism is still not alright. I am not able to eat as much as I feel hungry. I take bland foods only and on liquids too. But as soon as I take my food, my tummy is bloated and I need to walk but then it is not getting fine. Past two days, I did not have my stools. So, I took that soft stools drink and this morning with great pain passed out. But, I could not eat anything properly. My stomach is bloated and I feel like something hurts me badly in the stomach but I do not have a particular local pain but have some upper abdominal pain and discomfort after I eat.

My questions are:

1. Is it good to continue taking Dulcolax till my metabolism gets fine?
  2. Are these after-effects because of the viral gastroenteritis or do I need to check with any other specialist regarding this?
  3. I feel tired. Why do I feel so? It has been 19 days I am with this ailment.
  4. What type of foods can I take to ease my bloating?