Q. I am concerned about my diastolic dysfunction. Please explain it.

Dr. Rishu
Published on Feb 24, 2017

I am a 59 year old male. My weight is 230 kg and height is 5'11". I am suffering from high blood pressure for the last 15 years. I am taking Metoprolol and a combination of Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. I had an echocardiogram before four years. It was mostly normal except for enlarged LA 52 mm and moderate mitral regurgitation. Last year, I had an echo, and the numbers had not changed much. I still had moderate regurgitation, but it showed diastolic dysfunction grade 2 and mild enlarged left ventricle 58 mm. I do exercise and walk for five days a week and have lost some weight, but I am worried about my test results. Nothing was explained much, so I am trying to make sense of this. My EF is 60. I have attached my reports for your reference. There are no regional wall abnormalities. Please explain the condition of my heart. Thank you.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

• Do not worry. Your report is not that bad.
  • Most of the regurgitant lesions are very well tolerated by our body. Unless you are symptomatic like you have breathlessness or angina, etc., it is nothing to worry.
  • Repeat your echocardiogram once every year and keep taking Metoprolol and HCTZ.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for the reply. However, I was concerned about the diastolic dysfunction since it was not there in the old report.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

• Diastolic dysfunction refers to when the diastole part of this action is abnormal. The ventricles do not properly relax and become stiff meaning they cannot fill with blood properly. As the age increases, arteries and muscles become stiff. Hence, relaxing property decreases naturally.
  • Grade 2 diastolic dysfunction is the mildest form of diastolic heart failure and is referred to as an abnormal relaxation pattern. Patients are usually asymptomatic.
  • As you have Metoprolol already nothing else is required. Just repeat your echocardiogram once in every six months. Follow aggressive lifestyle changes.

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article

Will diastolic dysfunction lead to heart failure?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 98 kg. I have been having balancing problems for over a year. It is some form of sensory ataxia. I also have compression in C4-C5 and C5-C6 cervical spine. I also have severe sleep apnea. I had some breathlessness and chest discom...  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

Article Overview: Learn about simple lifestyle changes and healthy habits that can help a woman stay disease-free and enjoy life to the fullest. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are taking a t...  Read Article