Q. I am concerned about my diastolic dysfunction. Please explain it.

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I am a 59 year old male. My weight is 230 kg and height is 5'11". I am suffering from high blood pressure for the last 15 years. I am taking Metoprolol and a combination of Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. I had an echocardiogram before four years. It was mostly normal except for enlarged LA 52 mm and moderate mitral regurgitation. Last year, I had an echo, and the numbers had not changed much. I still had moderate regurgitation, but it showed diastolic dysfunction grade 2 and mild enlarged left ventricle 58 mm. I do exercise and walk for five days a week and have lost some weight, but I am worried about my test results. Nothing was explained much, so I am trying to make sense of this. My EF is 60. I have attached my reports for your reference. There are no regional wall abnormalities. Please explain the condition of my heart. Thank you.

#

• Do not worry. Your report is not that bad.
  • Most of the regurgitant lesions are very well tolerated by our body. Unless you are symptomatic like you have breathlessness or angina, etc., it is nothing to worry.
  • Repeat your echocardiogram once every year and keep taking Metoprolol and HCTZ.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for the reply. However, I was concerned about the diastolic dysfunction since it was not there in the old report.

#

• Diastolic dysfunction refers to when the diastole part of this action is abnormal. The ventricles do not properly relax and become stiff meaning they cannot fill with blood properly. As the age increases, arteries and muscles become stiff. Hence, relaxing property decreases naturally.
  • Grade 2 diastolic dysfunction is the mildest form of diastolic heart failure and is referred to as an abnormal relaxation pattern. Patients are usually asymptomatic.
  • As you have Metoprolol already nothing else is required. Just repeat your echocardiogram once in every six months. Follow aggressive lifestyle changes.

|