Q. What does high deceleration time in echocardiogram indicate?

Dr. Mangesh Baliram Danej
Published on Oct 01, 2016

I recently had an echocardiogram. The results were normal, but the deceleration time is 439 ms. My doctor did not say anything about it while reviewing the results. But, I have subsequently learned that it is very prolonged. What should I do now?

Dr. Mangesh Baliram Danej

Cardiology Internal Medicine
#

• It suggests grade 1 diastolic dysfunction. It is explainable by your obesity as evident from BMI - body mass index mentioned.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My E to A ratio is 1.51 and E/Ea is 6. Is that inconsistent with a deceleration time of E/Ea? I am concerned about cardiac amyloidosis.

Dr. Mangesh Baliram Danej

Cardiology Internal Medicine
#

• E to A ratio (early to late ventricular filling) for grade I diastolic dysfunction, which is characterized by prolonged deceleration time due to prolonged relaxation, is typically less than 1.0.
  • Also, your E/Ea of 6 suggests either normal diastolic function or grade I diastolic dysfunction. So, your readings have to be repeated by another echocardiography, although not as an emergency.
  • For suspicion of cardiac amyloidosis (abnormal protein deposit in heart), there should be diastolic dysfunction of severe grade.

I will repeat the echocardiogram. I have read that in the early stages of cardiac amyloidosis, there is an abnormal relaxation before restriction. Is it so?

Dr. Mangesh Baliram Danej

Cardiology Internal Medicine
#

• In the first place, there is a discrepancy in the readings itself. Then, we have an explanation already (as high BMI) for this case and there is grade 1 diastolic dysfunction.
  • To shed more light on the morphology of myocardium for diagnosis of amyloidosis, one may require cardiac MRI followed by a confirmatory endomyocardial biopsy.

Tips to Prevent Childhood Obesity

Article Overview: Lately, childhood obesity has increased over the past two decades which has become a concern for parents due to various symptoms experienced by their kids like social isolation, body shaming, and various health issues developed by overweight kids at a very early age like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol levels in the arteries, etc. Let us read how this can be prevented. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Following are some of the tips to be followed to prevent childhood obesity and lead a healthy lifestyle Limit the Consumption of Trans Fat Foods high in bad fats are pleasant to taste but hazardous to health. Few examples of high fatty foods include pasta, burgers, and pizzas. These foods are high i...  Read Article

Lifestyle Modification for Obesity

Article Overview: Obesity - the brand old term which is the main cause of all health issues world over. Here are some simple tips to control weight gain and being obese. Read Article

Dr. Indhupriyadharshini

Obesity has become the initial cause of all major health issues like cardiovascular, hypertension, diabetes, etc., which leads to other dangerous health issues. This obesity has now become a major epidemic in humans. So, how do we deal with this? We have three steps to change our life completely in...  Read Article

Do we need surgery for intervertebral disc displacement?

Query: Hi doctor, I have severe leg pain in both legs. It occurs during night time. I have pain in lower back. My MRI report says there is diffuse disc bulge causing thecal sac compression at L4 to L5 and L5 to S1. There is small disc bulge causing thecal compression at D11 and D12 level. There is ligamen...  Read Full »