Q. Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Oct 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2019

Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness.

I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a history of low B12, iron saturation and low vitamin D. To complicate matters even more, I went to an orthopedic spine specialist about a month ago, due to the stiffness in my neck.

I was unable to turn side to side and this has been going on for several years, like 5 or more. Also, I have a sharp pain between my shoulder blades. My cervical MRI shows moderate facet joint arthritis, small central spur on C5-C6 and some compression of the spinal cord.

Even more complicated is that the MRI showed thyroid nodules and the ultrasound reported as typical of a multinodular goiter. My TSH was 4.18.

I visited my family doctor and he said that the twitches were probably from low vitamin B12. He gave me an injection yesterday and took blood to measure B12 and vitamin D.

My vitamin B12 is more than 2000 and vitamin D is 9. I am going insane thinking that I have some horrible neurological disorder with the twitches and tingling in my calves, general fatigue and heavy feeling of my legs when I walk.

My primary care physician did a strength test on arms and legs and said it was normal. Can low vitamin B12 and vitamin D cause these symptoms? I just feel weird and scared.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause subacute combined degeneration of the cord. So, the treatment is daily Vitamin B12 or Vitamin B complex supplementation for 12 weeks. Your vitamin D levels are also low. The treatment is Vitamin D capsules 60000 IU every Sunday for 12 weeks. In your present scenario, for twitching, the first line of management is vitamin B12 supplementation and vitamin D supplementation. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with consent for 12 weeks and you will have a dramatic improvement in the next three months.

Revert back after three months to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I got a vitamin B12 shot yesterday and the level is quite high now. My primary care said that I am not B12 deficient even though I have never had a normal B12 level. Would getting that injection make such a drastic increase in my B12? Though I got an injection yesterday, my calves are still twitching and tingling and my hands are tingling too. I am so scared that I have ALS.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

#

Yes, the high value was because of the injection. You have to take Vitamin B Complex and D supplements for 12 weeks.

This cannot be cured in a day. You need to take tablets for at least 12 weeks to see the change.

ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is a motor neuron disease. That means, only motor neurons will be affected.

Tingling is a sensory problem, which means, it is not a motor neuron disease. So, there is nothing to worry about ALS.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

What causes tingling feeling when urinating?

Query: Hello doctor, I suddenly feel a tingling sensation after urination and a slight prick sort of a thing. I visited a doctor for the same and had been diagnosed with a urine infection. I also have a constant urge to urinate. He gave a dose of antibiotics which I had to take for three da...  Read Full >>

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your symptoms, you seems to have a urinary tract infection. The treatment is a full course of antibiotics which ranges from three to seven days depending on the severity of symptoms. Antibiotics usually give symptomatic relief in 24 hours but it takes mini...  Read Full

I have muscle twitching. Is it due to vitamin deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration is too short for any serious ailment. It is generally related to stress, coffee intake, and vitamin B12 deficiency. There is nothing to worry. It will go off.  Read Full

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your question carefully and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of a peripheral neuropathy. They could be related to a bulging disc in the cervical vertebral column. That is why it is necessary to perform a cervical spine MRI study. MS (multipl...  Read Full