Q. Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Answered by Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Vitamin Deficiency or Vitamin Supplements? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness.

I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a history of low B12, iron saturation and low vitamin D. To complicate matters even more, I went to an orthopedic spine specialist about a month ago, due to the stiffness in my neck.

I was unable to turn side to side and this has been going on for several years, like 5 or more. Also, I have a sharp pain between my shoulder blades. My cervical MRI shows moderate facet joint arthritis, small central spur on C5-C6 and some compression of the spinal cord.

Even more complicated is that the MRI showed thyroid nodules and the ultrasound reported as typical of a multinodular goiter. My TSH was 4.18.

I visited my family doctor and he said that the twitches were probably from low vitamin B12. He gave me an injection yesterday and took blood to measure B12 and vitamin D.

My vitamin B12 is more than 2000 and vitamin D is 9. I am going insane thinking that I have some horrible neurological disorder with the twitches and tingling in my calves, general fatigue and heavy feeling of my legs when I walk.

My primary care physician did a strength test on arms and legs and said it was normal. Can low vitamin B12 and vitamin D cause these symptoms? I just feel weird and scared.