Q. What could be the adverse effects of following restrictive dieting?

Dr. Alka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

1. What are the dangerous effects of restrictive dieting?

2. What vitamins help the people in losing weight?

3. How the basal metabolism rate (BMR) connects with weight gain or loss?

Kindly help.

Do you have a question on Diet Restrictions or Basal Metabolic Rate?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Alka

BACHELOR OF AYURVEDIC MEDICINE AND SURGERY(B.A.M.S)., MASTERS IN HEALTHCARE SERVICES

Side effects of restrictive dieting may include more cravings for food and overeating, lower metabolism rate, bone density can also decrease, intestinal health may also get affected adversely. Vitamin B complex helps in reducing the weight because it maintains our normal metabolism. Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy our body requires for normal functioning at rest.

If a person has low BMR due to underlying health issue like hypothyroidism, then it may lead to weight gain because the body is not producing proper energy and the calorie-burning is lower. However, our diet, lifestyle, and exercise also affect BMR.

Also Read Answers From: Diet Restrictions Basal Metabolic Rate

I have diabetes in spite of taking Amaryl and Janumet. Please suggest.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51 year old male. I have diabetes. My fasting is 150 to 160 and PP is 250 to 300. I am taking Amaryl 2 mg morning and Janumet 50/1000 after lunch and dinner. Please suggest.  Read Full >>
Dr. Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are already taking Amaryl (Glimepiride) 2 mg and Janumet 50/1000 (Sitagliptin and Metformin) twice but still, your blood sugar is not under control. Are you following dietary restrictions properly? Your weight is on the higher side. I suggest the dose of Metfor...  Read Full

Why the bilirubin level is elevated consistently since three months?
Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full >>
Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full

My TSH levels are getting varied after increasing the thyroid tablets doses. Do I need to continue the same dosage?
Query: Hello doctor, I am under medication for thyroid from past one year. Initially, TSH was 15.5, and I was using 50 mcg later TSH came to 13 so increased dosage to 75 mcg. After which my TSH came to 8.8, and now with same 75 mcg TSH got risen to 11.11. Please advise do I need to continue with the same ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The goal of treatment in hypothyroidism is to normalize TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels. The dose of thyroxine needs to be adjusted until this happens. The dose is weight related to some extent. The approximate dose of thyroid hormone is equal to weight in ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now