Q. Please look into my reports and tell me if an immediate surgery is necessary.

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2022

The following is the report of USG of the scrotum. Please comment about it in detail. 'Right testis 3.82 by 2.08, left testis 3.66 by 2.04. Both the testes appear normal in size and echogenicity, shows normal vascularity. There are no obvious focal lesions. Both epididymides are normal in size and echotexture. No focal lesions, and no evidence of hydrocele. Grade II left sided varicocele is seen as evidenced by dilated venous channels and reflex on Valsalva. Herniation of peritoneal contents into the left inguinal region seen with the sac extending up to the root of the scrotum. The defect could not be clearly visualized. Impression: left inguinal hernia. Grade II varicocele.' Can it be cured by medicine? Is surgery essential? Is it very urgent to be cured? Please comment in detail about the risk factors, diet, etc.

#

• You are suffering from an inguinal hernia with varicocele. The varicocele is of grade 2, which is moderate. A varicocele is to be operated only for two reasons, one being chronic pain and the other is infertility. So, if there is no pain and you have finished family planning, then there is no need to operate the varicocele.
  • The hernia is small, but it may increase with time and get larger. But, it is not an emergency to operate either. You can take your time. It will not be a problem.
  • There is no medical treatment for any of this. Surgery is the only option. If you are getting operated for the hernia, then simultaneously get operated for the varicocele as well, as both are done through the same incision.
  • There are no diet restrictions.
  • Avoid lifting heavy weights and constipation as it can increase the hernia.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thanks for the reply. I am feeling mild pain while sitting and working in the office, but otherwise, I am feeling alright. I have already done family planning. Please suggest whether I should go for surgery right now. What to do to live a comfortable life?

#

• I do not think you require a varicocele surgery at present.
  • Regarding the hernia surgery, I suggest you wait and if it increases in size, then go for a surgery for the hernia and varicocele both together.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|