Q. I have diabetes in spite of taking Amaryl and Janumet. Please suggest.

Dr. Nazma Parveen
Published on Apr 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 51 year old male. I have diabetes. My fasting is 150 to 160 and PP is 250 to 300. I am taking Amaryl 2 mg morning and Janumet 50/1000 after lunch and dinner. Please suggest.

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You are already taking Amaryl (Glimepiride) 2 mg and Janumet 50/1000 (Sitagliptin and Metformin) twice but still, your blood sugar is not under control.

Are you following dietary restrictions properly? Your weight is on the higher side.

I suggest the dose of Metformin can be increased to 1000 thrice daily but then you have to take Sitagliptin 50 twice separately. Amaryl 2 can be made twice daily. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

If even after making this change, your blood sugar levels are not controlled within one month, you may have to take Insulin.

With this, strict diet restrictions and weight reduction have to be followed.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to write.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

My partner fears the dentist would pull out all his teeth. Are his concerns valid?

Query: Hello doctor,My partner has type-2 diabetes and has lost several teeth. I am trying to talk him into a dentist visit, not necessarily to walk out with implants or dentures, but to just get an exam and a cleaning done. He believes that the few teeth he does have left will not survive even something a...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

What is the meaning of anisocytosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am diabetic, and my latest report showed HbA1C as 11, it says hypochromia and anisocytosis of red blood cells. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now