Q. Please advice whether I can continue my same dosage of thyroid tablets after the variation of TSH levels.

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
Published on Jun 20, 2019

I am under medication for thyroid from past one year. Initially, TSH was 15.5, and I was using 50 mcg later TSH came to 13 so increased dosage to 75 mcg. After which my TSH came to 8.8, and now with same 75 mcg TSH got risen to 11.11. Please advise do I need to continue with the same dosage or increase the dosage.

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Internal Medicine
#

The goal of treatment in hypothyroidism is to normalize TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels. The dose of thyroxine needs to be adjusted until this happens. The dose is weight related to some extent. The approximate dose of thyroid hormone is equal to weight in kg x 1.6. But ultimately, it is the TSH that guides the dosage.

Here is what you need to do,

1. Increase the dose of Thyroxine to 100 mcg once a day.

2. Take the tablet on an empty stomach. Do not consume anything except water for one hour after taking Thyroxine. (No tea, coffee, milk, iron or calcium tablets, etc.).

3. Whenever the dose of Thyroxine is adjusted, recheck TSH after six to eight weeks.

4. No diet restrictions for hypothyroidism. Contrary to popular belief, it is fine to eat cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, soybeans, etc.

| 

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?

Query: Dear Doctor,  My mother is 66 years old. She is having Trigeminal Neuralgia and for which she is taking Lyrica 75mg, Tegritol CR 400 and Symbal 30. And other medication details as below: For Cholesetrol -> Storfib -10mg. For BP -> seloken xl 100mg and amlodac 5mg. For Urinary Incontinence -&g...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »