Q. I have breathing difficulty with stuffy nose and whistle sound on breathing. Please help.

Dr. Gauri Gadge
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2020

I am a 27-year-old male. Two years back, suddenly, I felt breathlessness. The next day, I consulted a pulmonogist and PFT (pulmonary function test) was done. Then the doctor said, the airways are blocked a little. The doctor advised me to use an inhaler and some tablets. I felt a great relief after using the inhaler and tablets. But now it started again.

My current situation is, I feel stuffy nose, and pain inside my nose. When I breathe deeply, I hear wheezing or something like clicking sound. I find difficulty in breathing. Please help.

#

I can understand that you are worried about your health. Let me assure you first, do not worry much as all your symptoms can be relieved after taking regular medication and you can lead a normal life.

Did your pulmonologist diagnose you as an asthmatic? Asthma symptoms and other allergy symptoms can reccur many times after some duration. But you do not have to worry about them as you are now well aware about the medication. Still, I would advise you to get PFT (pulmonary function test) done once again because it is repeated annually in asthma patients. You can wait for some time until COVID-19 pandemic is going on.

One more thing, continue your inhaler medication at least for a year and then we can think of stopping after a repeat PFT. Also, do you have any acidity like symptoms? If there is any other thing which is bothering you, do let me know.

Bronchial Asthma with Allergic rhinitis.

Spirometry with bronchodilator reversibility testing.
Allergy testing.

Bronchial asthma with Allergic rhinitis.

Tablet Predmet 8 mg (Methylpredinsolone) after food for 5 days twice daily, Pan (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once daily before breakfast, Formoterol 6 mcg + Budesonide 200 mcg MDI with spacer 2 puffs twice daily or whenever needed up to 4 times a day. Tablet Allegra-M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) once daily for a month. Azelastine + Fluticasone nasal spray twice daily for one month.

Avoid exposure to allergens.

Follow up after one month.

Thank you so much doctor. Mam,my reports are okay?
# Hello. How are you now?
Yes your reports are normal, except your X-ray is showing sinusitis.
But, it’s not much worry about.
Did you follow my treatment. If your symptoms are relieved now we can reduce some of medications.
Do let me know if you need my help in future.
Take care.
Mam, can you prescribe the alternate tablets. same tablets are not available near by. I am following the treatment. I am feeling better Mam. during night still I feel difficulty.
# Others are quite common, Allegra-M: (Montekukast 10 mg Fexofenadine 120 mg).
Are you taking inhalers regularly? Please ensure you are following correct technique.
If you feel breathless at night you can take another dose of inhalers.
Take care and get well soon.
Mam, can I take these tablets... I live in Pooch(Jammu) here they are giving these substitute tablets. What to do mam?

pantosee
rednisol8
position cv

if these tablets are OK,how long should I take?
# Hello, yes you can take the first two tablets for 5 days if your symptoms are not relieved. You should take pantosee before breakfast and rednisol 8 after food.

The last one is probably an antibiotic and you don’t need that now.

Are you getting inhalers there? I am asking you this again and again as they re the most important part of the treatment.

I hope this helps. Take care.
Mam, inhalers are available here. I am using. Thank you.
# That’s good. Continue your medication and get well soon.

|