Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Is there a treatment for diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Answered by
Dr. Mashfika N Alam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My father is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy. He was admitted last week to a hospital where the doctors told me he is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy, but there are no medicines for this and there is no guarantee for his life. Please tell me what is the treatment for this?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner


Welcome to

I have seen the report you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I am afraid I have to agree with your doctor because diffuse cerebral atrophy is not treatable as neurons once dead, do not regenerate.

However, there are some measures to control symptoms to some extent and keep the brain functioning to its available capacity like:

  1. Physical therapy and exercise.
  2. Cognitive therapy.
  3. Physiotherapy.
  4. Engaging in motor activity can keep the remaining brain cells to functioning properly.

I am sorry. This is not reversible. However, you need to ensure he gets physiotherapy and cognitive therapy. This may help to some extent.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a family physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Dr.Wasiq Ali
Dr.Sarah M Alhennawy
When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

My dad has age-related diffuse cerebral atrophy. Will he forget everything, even me?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, a doctor said to my father that he has got age-related diffuse cerebral atrophy and it will affect the memory. Please explain what it is. Will he forget everything, even me? His age is 59. I am very frightened.  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.