Q. Is there a treatment for diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy. He was admitted last week to a hospital where the doctors told me he is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy, but there are no medicines for this and there is no guarantee for his life. Please tell me what is the treatment for this?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have seen the report you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I am afraid I have to agree with your doctor because diffuse cerebral atrophy is not treatable as neurons once dead, do not regenerate.

However, there are some measures to control symptoms to some extent and keep the brain functioning to its available capacity like:

1. Physical therapy and exercise.
  2. Cognitive therapy.
  3. Physiotherapy.
  4. Engaging in motor activity can keep the remaining brain cells to functioning properly.

I am sorry. This is not reversible. However, you need to ensure he gets physiotherapy and cognitive therapy. This may help to some extent.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|