Digital Rectal Examination

Please enlighten me on non-invasive procedures to detect prostate cancer.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 79 year old male. Excellent health, take no medications with the exception of an occasional Viagra. In a recent DRE, my urologist discovered two small nodules on my prostate. A PSA at the time was 6.3. Over the years, I have ranged in 2's and 3's. He suggested a biopsy of the p...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. I concur with your urologist in the need for a biopsy. Any PSA (prostate-specific antigen) more than 4 or abnormal findings on DRE (digital rectal examination) needs evaluation to rule out prostate cancer. None of the non-invasive te...  Read Full »

There is a painless bump near anus. Please suggest some medicine.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a painless peanut size bump near the outer side of my anus. I have attached snaps for your reference. It has been there since last 10 years. But, for the past one year I feel it is growing. Sometimes, it bleeds, but no pain at all. It is just like an extended mass and it feels ver...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you have a fissure and bleeding was from the fissure site as seen in the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bump you are showing is hemorrhoid near the fissure. You might have chronic constipation in the past due to which you require st...  Read Full »

Could bleeding ulcer be the reason for anal bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in the left side just below my breast all that way to the back. When I go to the bathroom, my stool has blood. It has been bleeding for two days, even without a bowel movement. The bleeding is in my anus. If I drink oregano team, then it will stop. But, will start bleeding aft...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern on this issue. The photograph which you uploaded indicates fresh blood in minute quantity (attachment removed to protect patient identity).Fresh blood from the anus on the surface of stool or without passing stool indicates a lesion in the...  Read Full »

Is anejaculation a side effect of Silodal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have enlarged prostate and some lesion on the prostate. The report has been attached. For the past four years, I have been suffering from urinary tract infections and kidney stones and my life is very much disturbed. I am attaching the files of my reports and the medicines which I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopinath

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to be examined clinically with per rectal examination. If clinical findings suggest a chronic prostatitis you need a prolonged treatment for it. Did you undergo uroflow test as suggested? It shows whether your urine flow is obstructed or not. Your PSA (prostate-...  Read Full »

Will anal fistula heal on its own?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with fistula-in-ano before eight years. I just consulted multiple physicians and surgeons. They all said to wait and watch and put me on antibiotics. Two years later, my fistula has closed on its own and there is no pus discharge or abscess forming. The healing was fast an...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fistula-in-ano is a surgical condition and cannot be cured by medicines only. Yes, antibiotic has minor role just to prevent infection. If fistula tract develops an infection then from which an abscess will develop and later the fistula tract may extend. External fistula ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for recurrent anal fissure?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old female. I have been having constipation since a year. I am having anal fissures. The doctor says that the fissure has healed, but I still have a burning sensation and mild itching in and around the anus. There is increased burning after bowel movement. I have had two ep...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Episode of pain and itching suggest healing phase of the fissure. This time pain is because of slight narrowing of the anal canal at the fissure site due to the replacement of normal tissue with fibrous tissue. You should continue these medications and if there is no s...  Read Full »

Will prostate enlargement improve with alpha-blockers?

Query: Hi doctor, I have enlarged prostate. Also, my blood urea and creatinine have increased. Will it improve with the treatment of alpha-blockers (Tamdura)?  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly mention your age. How much is the value of creatinine? Also, what is the prostate size? Has the digital rectal examination (DRE) and ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters and urinary bladder) being done or not? I would suggest a prostate biopsy if PSA (prostate...  Read Full »

Will surgery for BPH prevent prostate cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding my father. He is 65 years old. He suffers from BPH from the last five years and takes Alfusin-D for the same. Five years back, when he was diagnosed, his PSA was 2.8 ng. Last year, we repeated his test and the PSA was 0.9 ng/ml with normal DRE. An ultrasound of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The PSA (prostate-specific antigen) has decreased due to Dutasteride component of Alfusin-D. I suggest he get the screening done yearly for a year or two. Then, a two-yearly screening of PSA and DRE (digital rectal examination) is alright as his PSA is low in spite of...  Read Full »

How can I improve digestion?

Query: Hi doctor, We are living in an area where water having high TDS level. So, here almost 70% people facing stomach and intestine related issue. I am a physically fit person and my age is 37. I am doing regular weight exercise (gym workout) for the past 7 years continuously. All areas of my body are w...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have abdominal pain? What about your appetite? What is stool consistency and was blood on the surface of stool or mixed with stool? Do you have symptoms of nausea, burning sensation in upper part of the abdomen or chest? If you had recent episode of small amount...  Read Full »

My anal region hurts and found some blood in toilet paper. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having stomach pain in the lower abdomen for the past few days. I am also feeling bloated abdomen along with stomach pain. All day I have been trying to poo and I just did once. When I looked at the toilet paper there was a tiny bit of blood. Also, my anal region hurts. Now, it is it...  Read Full »

Dr. Zakaullah Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It basically seems that you have trouble with digesting your food. I would suggest you do regular exercise and eat more fiber (green vegetable and salads). To help in constipation, you may take more fruits like banana. Do not worry about the little blood you have noticed ...  Read Full »