Dilated Pupil

How long does eye dilation test take?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 9 years, went for an eye test. They put some drops for four times in an hour duration. Then, the doctor has told her to come the next day, but within the gap of 24 hours. Is that right? Can you tell me the time limit to do dilation test for eye examination?   Read Full »

Dr. David J Mathew

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no time limit for dilation. The doctor would have called your daughter to do a post-dilation test. In which case, no further dilation is needed. The initial dilation was to check the power of the eye after paralyzing the accommodating muscles. Children tend to...  Read Full »

Why is my vision blurred after an eye injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Two days back, I got a hit in my eye with a ball. Still, it is paining with blurred image. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After trauma with the ball, there could be many things that can cause blurring. It could be a simple eyelid swelling or small abrasion on the cornea, the front transparent surface of the eye. Other causes may be inflammation in the eye or blood inside the ey...  Read Full »

I lost eye sight because of rocket blowing up in eye. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, When I was younger, I had a bottle rocket blow up in my eye. It left a scar in front of my pupil, so I am no longer able to see out of the eye, and am considered legally blind. My pupil stays dilated all the time, and where it is not able to focus on anything, it wonders to the right. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thankfully only one eye was affected and I hope your other eye is intact and fully functional. Unfortunately, a dilated pupil that does not react to light in the affected eye means that it is no longer transmitting information to the brain and therefore is considered...  Read Full »

Can you explain the reason behind my unequally dilated pupil?

Query: Hi doctor, I have one pupil dilating more than the other in dim light. I noticed it before few months. I suffered from some issues last year. I had vertigo, heart arrhythmia, and anxiety. I consulted the GP, and he told that the condition is nothing to worry. He did not consider it. I am concerned...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have evaluated your eyes and pupils very patiently, and I agree with the findings of anisocoria. Now, there are many causes to have anisocoria such as some medications, nerve palsies,...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options available for dilated pupil?

Query: Hi Doctor, I had a serious eye injury before 10 years due to cricket ball hit. At that time, my pupil got enlarged and dilated. Can it get treated now?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After blunt trauma, pupil constrictor muscles may be damaged and that causes permanently dilated pupil called traumatic mydriasis. This just causes mild blurring or photophobia in bright light due to large aperture. But, in case of trauma, there are more important thin...  Read Full »

Why are my eyes dilated for the past four days?

Query: Hello doctor,My eyes are very dilated. I am 18 years old and female and around 105 lbs. It is happening for past four days. Currently, I am taking Naproxen and some other medicine for periods.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you use any drops? Or any trauma?   Read Full »

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the cataract surgery, pupil may remain dilated due to surgical trauma to constrictor pupillae muscle or iris is damaged and becomes atrophic. Some drops also cause pupil dilation. Make sure you are not using any dilating drops with red caps such as Tropicamide, C...  Read Full »

I have irregularly shaped pupils. Is there a simple explanation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old female. I weigh 50 kg, and my height is 5'2". My only prescription medication is birth control. I have irregularly shaped pupils, and one is bigger than the other. I noticed this over a week ago, and they have remained the same. Should I be worried? Is there a simple...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This difference in pupil size is known as anisocoria. There are many causes for anisocoria like the unilateral use of dilating eye drops, Horner's syndrome (disrupted nerve pathway from the brain to face and eye), Adie's pupil (dilated pupil), etc. Kindly consult your ...  Read Full »