Q. Why am I having double vision even after cataract surgery?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Over the last few years, I have watched and photographed several lunar eclipses (no solar ever). About a year ago, I noticed I was seeing ghost images when I looked at the moon with either eye or both 9 w/left, 7 w/right. Went to Ophthalmologist and they said I need cataract surgery. I went with premium Lenses. Well, surgery pulled the ghost images a bit closer to source but still see them. They are now clearer, along with floaters I could not see before. Ghosts only happen at night (moon, white letters, lamps. As the sun starts rising the ghosts start fading. ITS been 8 to 10 months since the last eye was done and still ghosts with either eye or both. I have tried several types of anti-glares. No help.

#

The ghost images are a normal retinal phenomenon known as after images. You need not worry about it. You can see them clearer after cataract surgery because they are a normal retinal response to any image. The more the contrast, the more the ghost images or after images. The floaters are formed as a natural course of aging of vitreous jelly which fills up our eye. Also, it is better to get your retina examined six monthly or at least yearly to look for any breaks.

|