Astigmatism

How to get rid of glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have vision problem. I am unable to read books for more than half an hour. Also, I am not able to read for 10 minutes in computer. In my right eye the cylindrical power is -1 at axis 130 and in the left eye the cylindrical power was -0.75 at axis 40. What is the best ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have got astigmatism. It can be corrected by glasses or contact lenses. If you want to get rid of glasses, then there are different laser procedures like PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) or Femto-Lasik surgery. They are very safe and simple procedures. But, for the ...  Read Full »

My OD eye vision is more blurry after placing lens. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a mild irregular cornea OD eye. I was being fitted with a brand new soft lens Flexlens Arc. nine months back. When the lens was placed in my OD eye, it severely burnt my eye. It was red, swollen, painful and tearing. The technician flushed it out but I could not open the eye...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there could be an infection (conjunctivitis or keratitis), get it examined what it is and start treatment. Stop wearing contact lens until it is healed. Your OD damage have to be confirmed by examination. Vision will be regained gradually when it is healed. Cons...  Read Full »

I am using toric lenses for astigmatism. How long will it take to correct astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I got toric lenses to correct my astigmatism. Can I switch to regular eye lenses? I want to have colored eye lenses, but it is not available in toric lenses. And how long will it take to correct astigmatism?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned how much astigmatism you got. If it is negligible, then it will be fine with the spherical lens only. If it is significantly high, then you must need toric lenses. You can get a customized contact lens from some good optician or lens dispensing...  Read Full »

I have glaucoma and astigmatism. How can the vision and headaches be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old, female. I have been diagnosed with starting glaucoma and I have all OCT scans and glaucoma screening results. I would like to know what precisely is happening with my eye. I had a bad vision already for 3 to 4 years and was wearing glasses but now it is not comfortable...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. OCT is normal. Glaucoma is in very early stage (attachment removed to protect patient identity) but you have not mentioned your intraocular pressure forastigmatism. I would suggest these options: 1. Toric contact lenses. A non-surgical procedure but contact lenses requ...  Read Full »

Trial lenses did not correct astigmation. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I just went to an optometrist yesterday and they gave me a contact lens prescription of -6.00 for both eyes. For 30 years, I have always had different strengths, both with astigmatism usually going up a bit each year to the last one 18 months ago which was: Left -4.50 -.75 160 8.6 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If someone has an astigmatism and that too upto 2.5 diopter, it is rare that it is reversed. But sometimes optometrist can add astigmatic power in spherical power that is called spherical equivalent. In such cases half the power of cylinder is added to spherical power. ...  Read Full »

Will a regular contact lens cause eye damage in astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very blurred vision due to high eye grade and astigmatism. My left eye is 225, and the right eye is 675. I am planning to get a pair of contact lenses, but the special lenses are a bit pricey. Will it damage my eyesight if I am going to choose regular contact lenses?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In general, contact lenses are only meant for occasional use and cannot be used every day. In case you meant the special lenses have higher oxygen permeability and help your cornea stay healthy, please go ahead with those. The best option to remain permanently free f...  Read Full »

How can I get my cylindrical eye power corrected?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done an eye test recently, and I found that I need a cylindrical correction too. Earlier I used spectacles only with spherical correction. My test results show 6/18, -1.25 DC × 95, 6/6 and 6/9, -0.25/-0.75 × 75, 6/6. I would like to know whether my eye power is too wea...  Read Full »

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cylinder power is low, and there is nothing to worry. As there is astigmatism, the glasses have to be worn at all times. You do not need to wear glasses if you do not have symptoms like eyestrain or a headache. But if you have eyestrain and headache, you need to wea...  Read Full »

Which is best between SMILE and Contoura Vision?

Query: Hello doctor, I have to get a spectacles removal surgery but because of a thin cornea, I cannot have LASIK. So, the doctor suggested SMILE. But now I have read some disadvantages of SMILE. There is one more called Contoura Vision which is considered to be the best. Can you please guide me that with...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Each procedure has its own pros and cons. SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) is a good technique with good results. I did in many patients and the result was very nice. It does not correct any imperfections of the cornea which can be done by the Contoura v...  Read Full »

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems from your history that you are having a refractive error in the form of myopia and astigmatism. This requires a correction by concave lenses and cylindrical lenses. You can go for the prescribed glasses or contact lenses. Coming to the choice of type of lense...  Read Full »

My 2.7 years old daughter has cylindrical eye number. Is it a sign of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my 2.7 years old daughter's eyes checked, and she has a cylindrical number of -1 and -1.25 at 180 axis. Will it increase as she grows? Is the test done on the machine, reliable? I hope this is not a sign of keratoconus.  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This may be a sign of keratoconus, but not for sure. It depends on the progression. If it progresses rapidly and corneal thinning occurs, then only it can be called as keratoconus. At present it is astigmatism. And you should start using glasses. Yes, it will change in...  Read Full »