Astigmatism

Does my child need to wear glasses all the time for his astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5-years-old. We had an annual eye checkup, and he was diagnosed to have astigmatism in his eyes. My concerns are: 1) Does he need to wear glasses all the time and throughout life? 2) Can it ever fix or cure? 3) If he does not wear eyeglasses, will it go worse, or...  Read Full »

Dr. Sankaran Mathangee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers are as follows; 1) Yes, he needs to wear glasses constantly. 2) You can do lasik or other procedures later only if it is necessary. 3) Yes, if he does not wear glasses, it will worsen. 4) He can undergo laser treatment after 20 years of ag...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest whether my eye power fits with my state medical test criteria?

Query: Hi doctor, I am attaching my eye prescription. I am also attaching my medical test criteria for state police service rank. Please mention whether I meet the given eye power.   Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.On seeing your criteria and test results, you are having a combined power of -4.50 including cylinder. It does not fit your prescribed criteria. I suggest you do a dilated refraction to know your exact power and also do a color vision test.   Read Full »

How can I overcome astigmatism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from eye pain for almost three days now, maybe due to my online classes wherein I am constantly exposed to radiation, and also I use ring light for some of my classes. I have astigmatism, and last month, I got my new prescription eyeglasses. What might be the exact ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about your eye pain. You mentioned that you changed your spectacles recently. Was there any change in the power or axis? As you said, you have astigmatism. If the cylindrical axis is wrong even the slightest or if the power is overco...  Read Full »

Do children outgrow hypermetropia?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old daughter has eye power of -2 and -1.75 myopia and 0.5 spherical in one eye with an axis of 100 in both eyes. Does she need to wear glasses? As I have an understanding kids, the eyes are still developing till the age of 5 or 6.  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have a prescription that you can upload? I am not able to ascertain if she has a cylinder in both eyes or one eye.   Read Full »

Will vision loss in a small kid progress with age?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 5.2 years old. She had redness in her eyes, so we took her to the eye clinic. The doctor examined and found she has 40% less vision in the right eye and 10% less vision in the left eye. Sometimes now, she complains of water image when seeing with the right eye. He has a...  Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seeing the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your child has high astigmatism in the right eye leading to poor vision in that eye. The good thing is she has been diagnosed at the right age, so treatment is possible. Start here with glasse...  Read Full »

I feel uncomfortable using contact lenses. Can I get LASIK?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been wearing contact lens for the last 12 years. Recently, they started getting uncomfortable. So, I stopped using them and got a LASIK consultation with a Pentacam. I have attached the reports taken two days after stopping contact lenses and three weeks after stopping contact lens...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your prescription and Pentacam scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I could not see any significant pathology in scan. The yellow area showing against the rule astigmatism and that is why you are using Toric contact lenses. Otherwise, cornea...  Read Full »

Can dry eyes cause afterimages and visual trials?

Query: Hello doctor, Can dry eyes cause afterimages and visual trails? I have a history of non-allergic rhinitis and dry eyes astigmatism. I have been having lots of after images, mostly negative, sometimes positive but only very brief. Also, having visual trailing, but only when I am not staring directly...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I understand your concern about the afterimage. It may be because of dry eyes. The tear film comprises three layers: the inner mucous layer, the aqueous layer, and the oil or lipid layer. These three layers need to be intact to prevent the evap...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to wear glasses regularly for patients with astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a short-sight and -0.5 diopters in both eyes and slight astigmatism in the left eye. So I wonder whether I need to wear these glasses all day or only when needed? I wonder what is better for my eyes, in which case it is less likely that I will increase diopter? What is better, if...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems from the history that you are having mild myopia of -0.5 dioptres in both the eyes with mild astigmatism in the left eye. Since the refractive error is significantly less, you can wear the glasses only when you need but try to wear as more as possible. There...  Read Full »

What can cause unequal pupil size?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed that one of my pupils is slightly bigger than the other. I have also consulted a doctor for this. From what I saw, both are responding to light. I also have to point out that recently I have consulted a doctor, and now I have astigmatism glasses. The doctor said nothing ab...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing in. I have noted that you are concerned about the size of your pupils. It can some times happen if one has had an injury to that eye in the past. And can also occur if you have a large difference in the spectacle power between the eyes. Certain pa...  Read Full »

How to recover my eyesight?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a problem with my left eye called astigmatism. My vision without glass is 1/10 and with glass it is just 3/10.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send me your investigation report and other relevant details to comment further.Revert back with the reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist  Read Full »