HomeAnswersDentistrydiscolored teethI have zirconium crowns on my front teeth, but one shows the darkened tooth underneath. Please help.

What is the treatment for a darkened tooth underneath a zirconium crown?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 21, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 13, 2023

Patient's Query

I have zirconium crowns on my front teeth, but one shows the darkened tooth underneath. My doctor suggested that we replace that crown with a porcelain crown. I am afraid the difference in look will be noticeable. What would you suggest?

Answered by Dr. Bharat Joshi

I understand your concern.

Darkened color could be due to either pulpal infection or subgingival hemorrhage. Please get an X-ray for confirmation of diagnosis. Replacement would be noticeable, but in that case, please go for veneers. In the end, a replacement could be done only after a thorough investigation, and that too be veneers with a preference for esthetics.

I hope the information will work.

Thanks.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, veneers are not an option as the tooth was damaged before and was darkened even before we put the crowns. Initially, my dentist bleached the tooth with peroxide, but the doctor feels that it would be temporary if she did that again.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Joshi

I understand your concern.

Darkening is due to cervical resorption due to bleaching, but veneers are a good option. We often employ it in our esthetic surgical procedures. As per my experience, the teeth will not be so darkened on their application. However, if you can share the clinical picture, I can think of other procedures like porcelain fused to metal crown, post, core, or implants.

I hope the information will work.

Thanks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Bharat Joshi
Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

crownsdiscolored teeth

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dentistry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy