Q. What is the cause for bleeding, swelling, and pain in the gums?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jul 25, 2018

I have bleeding, swelling, and pain in the gums. Please suggest tablets for getting relief.

#

Bleeding gums are due to inflamed (simply, swollen) gums. The most probable cause is calculus (hard deposits) and plaque (soft deposits) irritating the gums. The treatment is to get a professional cleaning (scaling) done by a dentist. You can do lukewarm salt water gargling to give some relief to the gums. Mouthwash (Chlorhexidine) can be used but, use it after diluting it with water once or twice daily till the gums get normal. After that, you can continue just lukewarm salt water, as Chlorhexidine can cause tooth discoloration. Kindly, follow the correct brushing method (modified Bass sulcular method). Medicines are not required compulsorily in this case.

The other cause could be of swelling (sinus opening) due to chronic infection of a tooth. In this case, antibiotics are prescribed. I would like to see the image of the tooth to guide you with the provisional diagnosis. Kindly visit your nearby dentist for a further clinical examination, X-ray, and treatment.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

What is the treatment for stone in the urinary tract?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a 3.4 mm urinary stone. I have been having continuous pain in my lower right abdomen. The doctor suggested me tablets Pantocid, Nurokind, and Hifenac SR. Can I take these medications?  Read Full >>

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a renal calculus (urinary stone) which is of very small size. Your doctor has advised you good medicines. So, continue the same. Hifenac SR (Aceclofenac) is a painkiller used to relieve the pain due to the stone. Pantocid (Pantoprazole) is to prevent gastr...  Read Full

I am getting severe and consistent pain in the abdomen. What could be wrong?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 130 lbs. I am not due my period anytime soon, and I am on birth control. For the past few days, I have been getting severe pains in the bottom of my abdomen. It started a few days ago with sharp pains on the right side just up a bit. By ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sharmila Naik

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There could be ureteric calculus if the pain is sharp and shooting or a renal stone dislodged from the place. You need to get an ultrasound done to rule out any pathology. It needs further physical examination as it could just even be a muscular spasm, which happens ...  Read Full

Will accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old put my mascara wand in his mouth. His teeth and all around his mouth were black. I used a toothbrush and water to get all the black out. What else should I do? I am not sure how much he swallowed. Can it harm him?  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Modi
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mascara contains iron oxide, carbon black along with a base of paraffin or mineral oil. As your child had taken it in his mouth and you already have cleaned it. Now there is nothing to worry, you may ask him to gargle with Chlorhexidine mouthwash which will improve t...  Read Full