Q. What is the cause for bleeding, swelling, and pain in the gums?

Answered by Dr. Divya Banu M and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Bleeding Gums or Chlorhexidine Mouthwash? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

I have bleeding, swelling, and pain in the gums. Please suggest tablets for getting relief.

Related Questions:
I am getting severe and consistent pain in the abdomen. What could be wrong?
What to do for swollen and bleeding gums?
Why am I having tingling sensation in teeth?

Dr. Divya Banu M


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Bleeding gums are due to inflamed (simply, swollen) gums. The most probable cause is calculus (hard deposits) and plaque (soft deposits) irritating the gums. The treatment is to get a professional cleaning (scaling) done by a dentist. You can do lukewarm salt water gargling to give some relief to the gums. Mouthwash (Chlorhexidine) can be used but, use it after diluting it with water once or twice daily till the gums get normal. After that, you can continue just lukewarm salt water, as Chlorhexidine can cause tooth discoloration. Kindly, follow the correct brushing method (modified Bass sulcular method). Medicines are not required compulsorily in this case.

The other cause could be of swelling (sinus opening) due to chronic infection of a tooth. In this case, antibiotics are prescribed. I would like to see the image of the tooth to guide you with the provisional diagnosis. Kindly visit your nearby dentist for a further clinical examination, X-ray, and treatment.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

What to do for swollen and bleeding gums?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a cut in the gum after having some food. Later, I gargled with Listerine and it worsens the condition with swelling. I am having bleeding gums while brushing. I am 35 years old and I am diabetic. Please do the needful.  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is called localized peridontitis, which occur sometimes if there was food impaction between the two teeth or some prolonged infection due to plaque and calculus deposition. You should use warm saline gargle thrice a day for a week. Visit a dentist and ask him to cle...  Read Full »
The back of my gum is hurting. What to do?
Query: Hello doctor, The back of my gum has been hurting and it is red. I do not know why. I do not know if it has anything to do with my wisdom teeth because they are all in except one. It was peeking in the gums the last time the dentist checked them and did not say anything. So, I do not know what i...  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hissain Parray

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At your age, the wisdom teeth start erupting.This is the most probable cause in my opinion. But, if it is hurting too much and your sleep is disturbed, it can be from an infection of the underlying mucosa, surrounding the tooth. I suggest you use Chlorhexidine mouthwa...  Read Full »
What is the treatment for stone in the urinary tract?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a 3.4 mm urinary stone. I have been having continuous pain in my lower right abdomen. The doctor suggested me tablets Pantocid, Nurokind, and Hifenac SR. Can I take these medications?  Read Full »
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a renal calculus (urinary stone) which is of very small size. Your doctor has advised you good medicines. So, continue the same. Hifenac SR (Aceclofenac) is a painkiller used to relieve the pain due to the stone. Pantocid (Pantoprazole) is to prevent gastr...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Is it possible to cure my respiratory allergy and throat infection with some medicine?
Hi doctor, I am suffering from nose block, throat pain, fever, occasional running nose, and headache. I am taking Nasaf ...Read more »
Can inhaling enamel paint residual fumes cause health issues?
Hello doctor, I (66 years, 145 lbs) am using a can of enamel paint in my basement. Total of 1 to 2 minutes. Had a mask ...Read more »
Arthritis in Its Many Forms
Arthritis is defined as the inflammation of a joint. There are various types of arthritis and despite their similarities ...Read more »