Q. What are the chances of diverticular bleed recurring?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

I had a diverticular bleed last year, which was after being treated for diverticulitis four months before that. I am a 62 year old male, who takes no medication. I was admitted to a hospital for three days, and nothing was done to me except a liquid diet. The reason they said they never did a colonoscopy is that I just had a routine one done 6 to 8 months before that, and it was clear. The bleed stopped and it has not happened since then. I take Metamucil, three times a day and a probiotic. My feces have been soft and well formed, and I go regularly every morning. I sometimes have to go the second time, where there will be little bits of feces, but just in small pieces. I eat chicken, fish, rice, potato, no red meat, all whole grain bread, almonds, almond milk, banana, and some fruit. What are the chances of this happening again? Is there anything else I should be doing to prevent it from ever happening again?

#

• Diverticular bleed recurrence chances are around 30 %. The risk factor of recurrence is uncontrolled hypertension, antiplatelet drugs, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. So to prevent rebleed in your case, avoid NSAIDs.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|