Q. Kindly help me get rid of my stomach problem.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2019

I am a 28 year old female. Before 10 months, I got left side abdominal pain with mild fever. I went to the ER. After blood tests and CT scan, they said it as diverticulitis. After using antibiotics, it got cleared. Every couple of months I feel pain when I press my abdomen but no fever. When I take liquid diet for two days, the pain will go away. Even though my bowel movements are regular, sometimes the stool is hard and I can see blood. I am drinking lots of water at least 2 liters a day and stopped junk food. But, still I am suffering with pain. Sometimes, I feel a sharp pain inside the rectum. Recently, I went for an annual checkup. After checking the reports, my GP said that it may or may not be diverticulitis. He said it might be colitis and nothing to worry. My last blood in stool was two months ago. Sometimes, my stool is mushy and fluffy. I am very much worried about this. Please help me out.

#

• Diverticula are the tiny bulges that are formed from the colonic wall and this condition is named diverticulosis.
  • Blockade or infection or inflammation leads to diverticulitis. It will be associated with abdominal pain, altered bowel habits, occasional bleeding and fever.
  • Diverticulosis is asymptomatic, but when the diverticula are blocked this may lead to abdominal pain. Your condition appears to be diverticulosis that may lead to diverticulitis if a proper diet is not followed.
  • Let me share the fact that diverticulitis treatments work well, but once diverticula formed, then they will be there for the rest of your life. This means you may redevelop diverticulitis at any time.
  • Drinking plenty of water and adding fiber to your diet are important ways to prevent constipation. Going to the bathroom when you feel the urge is important to avoid constipation.
  • Waiting too long hardens the stool and increase the pressure in the bowels that leads to more diverticula formation.
  • Eat more veggies and include the following in your diet to avoid diverticulitis. Pears, apples, oranges, bananas, carrots, broccoli, spinach and all green leafy vegetables, black beans, black-eyes peas, beets, whole grains and fiber supplements.
  • Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon with similar set of complaints. It requires colonoscopy for confirmation and treatment.
  • I suggest tablet Dicyclomine for abdominal pain. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|