Q. Should I take antibiotics before the colonoscopy test?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

I am a 52-year-old male with a height of 5.10 feet and a weight of 175 lbs. I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis by a doctor. My lower colon has been inflamed (sigmoid) for two and a half months with no relief. My doctor has not prescribed anything. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow, but I am very inflamed and concerned that they could puncture the colon. Should I be receiving some antibiotics to reduce the swelling?

I wish you all the best.

#

I reviewed your CT scan (computed tomography) report (reports removed to protect the patient's identity) and your history. There is no diverticulitis; only colonic diverticula has been seen. Your history is also not suggestive of diverticulitis, and 2nd diverticulitis does not last for months. Your stress has a role in aggravating your symptoms. You can safely undergo a colonoscopy, which will clear your diagnosis. There is no need for any antibiotics at the moment. You will need Ispaghula husk (laxative) later on, and it will improve your symptoms. Once the colonoscopy is done, kindly share the report with me.

I am always there to answer.

|