Q. Why am I having dizzy spells and pulsations in back of head?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

I am 39 years old, severely obese. I have been experiencing dizzy spells and pulsations in the back of my head. The pulsations are severe when I am sleeping. There are shocks in the head occasionally but more while sleeping.

#

We need to do an MRI brain with MRS (spectroscopy), MRA (angiography), MRV (venography), MRI cervical spine with MRA neck vessels with whole spine screening for evaluation of dizzy spells, pulsations in the back of the head. Obesity or overweight can be due to four main causes:

1. Primary genetic insulin resistance.

2. Not doing physical work and being the so-called couch potato (sedentary lifestyle).

3. Diseases related to fat metabolism (dyslipidaemias).

4. Eating too much (also called gluttony).

Of these, if your obesity and overweight are due to a sedentary lifestyle, you can reduce your weight and waist circumference by walking, jogging, running, swimming, cardio, lifting weights, etc. If your obesity and overweight are due to eating too much, you can reduce your weight and excess fat by eating less. If your obesity and overweight are due to dyslipidemias, you can reduce your weight and excess fat by appropriate treatment. But, if your obesity and overweight are due to primary genetic insulin resistance, the only way you can reduce weight is by taking a low carbohydrate diet. Running miles on treadmill or starvation will not solve your problem.

Before you start low carbohydrate high fat diet, we need to know what all you can take and what all you have to avoid. For this, a series of blood tests are needed. These are available as a package called metabolic profile A. If you have already done this, please send us the reports. If you have not done this, please do it. The technician will come, collect blood and you will get the report the next day by mail.

I have the following reports with me.

#

Loss of cervical lordosis. Central disc bulge at C5 to C6 causing thecal compression. No obvious nerve root impingement. Central and right paracentral disc bulge at C6 to C7 causing thecal compression and right nerve root indentation. It can cause dizziness and pulsations in back of the neck. Regarding the blood tests. We need to know HbA1c (glycosylated hemoglobin) and blood urea.

|