Q. Why am I having dizzy spells and pulsations in back of head?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Oct 09, 2018

I am 39 years old, severely obese. I have been experiencing dizzy spells and pulsations in the back of my head. The pulsations are severe when I am sleeping. There are shocks in the head occasionally but more while sleeping.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

We need to do an MRI brain with MRS (spectroscopy), MRA (angiography), MRV (venography), MRI cervical spine with MRA neck vessels with whole spine screening for evaluation of dizzy spells, pulsations in the back of the head. Obesity or overweight can be due to four main causes:

1. Primary genetic insulin resistance.

2. Not doing physical work and being the so-called couch potato (sedentary lifestyle).

3. Diseases related to fat metabolism (dyslipidaemias).

4. Eating too much (also called gluttony).

Of these, if your obesity and overweight are due to a sedentary lifestyle, you can reduce your weight and waist circumference by walking, jogging, running, swimming, cardio, lifting weights, etc. If your obesity and overweight are due to eating too much, you can reduce your weight and excess fat by eating less. If your obesity and overweight are due to dyslipidemias, you can reduce your weight and excess fat by appropriate treatment. But, if your obesity and overweight are due to primary genetic insulin resistance, the only way you can reduce weight is by taking a low carbohydrate diet. Running miles on treadmill or starvation will not solve your problem.

Before you start low carbohydrate high fat diet, we need to know what all you can take and what all you have to avoid. For this, a series of blood tests are needed. These are available as a package called metabolic profile A. If you have already done this, please send us the reports. If you have not done this, please do it. The technician will come, collect blood and you will get the report the next day by mail.

| 

I have the following reports with me.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

#

Loss of cervical lordosis. Central disc bulge at C5 to C6 causing thecal compression. No obvious nerve root impingement. Central and right paracentral disc bulge at C6 to C7 causing thecal compression and right nerve root indentation. It can cause dizziness and pulsations in back of the neck. Regarding the blood tests. We need to know HbA1c (glycosylated hemoglobin) and blood urea.

| 

Why am I having dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?

Query: Hello doctor, For a couple of days now I have been ill and the symptoms are getting worse. First, it started off with a swollen throat (which I still have but is not as bad) which gives me a phlegm cough but has reduced. I constantly have dizziness and blackouts with pulsating sensations not only g...  Read Full »

What dose of Thyronorm can control my current TSH level of 13.3?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroidism and my current TSH is 13.3. I am regularly taking Thyronorm 50 mcg one tablet daily morning before food. Kindly let me know what should be the dose to control the level now. My cholesterol levels are a bit high too.  Read Full »

I am 6 feet tall with 95 kg. How can I lose weight?

Query: Hello doctor, My height is 6 feet 1 inch, and weight is 95 kg. My TSH level is 16 and T3, T4 levels are normal. I want to lose weight. Please tell me how much carbohydrates and protein I need to take. I just started exercise couple of days ago. Can I take Whey protein?  Read Full »