Q. Would having milk or water before swab test alter the DNA?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

After my unprotected sex, I had spotting just for a single day. Now I assume it was when implantation took place as I missed my periods and confirmed pregnancy two weeks later. My question is when does implantation happened exactly? Secondly while we were waiting for swab test my child had a formula bottle and the alleged father had a glass of water a few minutes before swabbing was done. Would this alter the DNA? Or could the swabs have been contaminated?

#

• Implantation bleeding can be a sign of the pregnancy and it happens when the ovum implants into the uterine wall (implantation). It can begin on the 23rd to 28th day of your menstrual cycle.
  • Generally, it is recommended to wait for one hour after drinking, eating, etc., before collecting the sample.
  • Yes, the sample may be contaminated. But in such case, there will be different sets of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) and laboratory will come to know about it and will call you to take fresh samples again.

For further information consult an general practitioner --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|