Q. How to find out whether the stem cell sample is futile or not?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I preferred for stem cell preservation of my baby at a private stem cell bank. Now, after 3 months, I received a mail stating that despite our best efforts the isolation and expansion of mesenchymal stem cells were unsuccessful primarily due to no growth. The customer care replied that the sample has some inherent tissue nature, not adapting to laboratory environment and is contaminated with gram positive cocci bacteria. So, they cannot preserve the cord tissue. Is it so difficult to decontaminate the bacteria? Is it a negligence of paramedic during collecting sample? How do I investigate that the sample received at the laboratory is futile or not?

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.

• Stem cells are difficult to decontaminate as they do not have any supporting cells to fight like white blood cells in our body. No antibiotics can be used.
  • It is difficult to talk about negligence, as many factors influence, including type of delivery, complication faced and the quality of samples received. At times, stem cells may not be found and is known.
  • You cannot investigate, as there is no sample. If there was any sample, DNA testing would have been beneficial. However, if there is a possibility you can ask for refund.
  • At present, stem cells are overrated and can be separated from peripheral blood, if necessary. Do not worry about this.

For further information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

|