Q. How to get TSH level control in a diabetic?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Jan 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2019

My dad is 67 years of age and my mom is 63 now. I have got general health checkup done for my parents. I am uploading the reports here. Kindly check and let me know if anything needs our immediate attention. Thanks

Dr. Aamir Mohd

#

I have seen all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your parents.

Your mother is diabetic and she is controlling her diabetes good. She has a mild increase in her leukocyte count, it is due to infection. Did she get any fever in past weeks? Or did she have a sore throat? Is she taking any thyroid medication? If yes, which one and what is the dosage?

Her TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is high which means there is thyroid disorder, but to be hundred percent sure you need to do TPO (thyroid peroxidase antibody test) it will tell us what exactly the problem is.

Your father probably does not have diabetes as you have done HB1AC (glycated hemoglobin) and FBS (fasting blood sugar) test first time on him. But I think he is a little obese. He should go for a walk for 30 minutes and reduce the fat and oil from his diet.

I have few more queries about the report. My mother had no fever or sore throat recently. She is not taking any thyroid medication. She has iron deficiency. The distribution of blood cells is weird, I suppose. Do you like to give any suggestion? P-LCR is too high. Kindly suggest about this. Alkaline phosphatase reading is too high. What to do for this? Please explain the consequences related to high TSH. My father's blood cell distribution is out of range and his cholesterol values are high. Also kindly do let me know if there is really something to be worried about in any of their cases.

Dr. Aamir Mohd

#

For iron deficiency ask her to take tablet Feronia-XT (combination of Iron with Folic acid), oral Iron formulation, once a day for 30 days. You need not worry about the distribution of blood cells. It happens that sometimes P-LCR (platelet large cell ratio) is too high but other major indicators are normal in complete blood count these are minor things.

Nothing to do again for raised alkaline phosphatase. These things will reduce if you do a test again after a week. It is little raised in medical terms.High TSH is a problem. Get the test of TPO done and consult an endocrinologist.

Your father's blood cell distribution is normal. No need to worry about it. To control cholesterol, please follow the guidelines I told you before. He needs to walk for 30 minutes every day to reduce fat and should consume low oil diet. Again his cholesterol level is in borderline which will reduce once he follows these guidelines. No medication is required. Nothing to worry about both of them. Just tell your mother to keep good control of her diabetes.

Are there any problems in my routine health checkup reports?

Query: Hello doctor, I have no issues as such but not feeling fit. I am more concerned about my health. I would like to know whether my routine checkup results are alright or not. I have no symptoms of any kind. I have taken ayurveda treatment for SGPT, SGOT, and high protein. I am attaching my reports fo...  Read Full »

What diet can be followed to help lower cholesterol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a high borderline cholesterol. Can you suggest me a diet chart? I have attached reports herewith.  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now