Q. Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?

Answered by Dr. Mohan Krishna and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Osteoarthritis or Osteopenia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dear Doctor, 

My mother is 66 years old. She is having Trigeminal Neuralgia and for which she is taking Lyrica 75mg, Tegritol CR 400 and Symbal 30. And other medication details as below:

• For Cholesetrol -> Storfib -10mg.
  • For BP -> seloken xl 100mg and amlodac 5mg.
  • For Urinary Incontinence -> tropan 5mg and cranpac.

Her bone mineral density revealed to scores of Osteopenia, and also Osteoarthritis.

She is taking AcuCal calcium tablet and FreeFlex Forte.

But her mobility is still very much restricted. So I want to know whether she can take SAM (S Adenosyl Methionine), and is it safe?

Also If she can take SAM, what will be the dosage and duration. I am asking whether she can take this as a supportive to enhance her mobility.

She is a pure vegetarian and on fat free diet. Her weight is 70kg, height is 5.1 feet.

Please give your suggestion.