HomeAnswersOrthopedician and TraumatologyosteoarthritisCan S adenosyl methionine improve my mom's mobility?

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 16, 2014
Reviewed AtFebruary 6, 2024

Patient's Query

Dear Doctor, 

My mother is 66 years old. She is having Trigeminal Neuralgia and for which she is taking Lyrica 75mg, Tegritol CR 400 and Symbal 30. And other medication details as below:

  • For Cholesetrol -> Storfib -10mg.
  • For BP -> seloken xl 100mg and amlodac 5mg.
  • For Urinary Incontinence -> tropan 5mg and cranpac.

Her bone mineral density revealed to scores of Osteopenia, and also Osteoarthritis.

She is taking AcuCal calcium tablet and FreeFlex Forte.

But her mobility is still very much restricted. So I want to know whether she can take SAM (S Adenosyl Methionine), and is it safe?

Also If she can take SAM, what will be the dosage and duration. I am asking whether she can take this as a supportive to enhance her mobility.

She is a pure vegetarian and on fat free diet. Her weight is 70kg, height is 5.1 feet.

Please give your suggestion.


Welcome to icliniq and thanks for the query. She can take SAM or MSM (Any one of them). SAM is a safe medication. It is a cartilage protective drug and will help her improve some of the pain in osteoarthritis.

For osteoarthritis: you have to remember that these medications like free flex, collagen peptides, SAM and MSM are like to help to nourish cartilage and provide some relief. They do not actually replenish the cartilage. I normally advise to take these cartilage supplements for a period of 3 months and gap of 6 months and again restart them.

Just check the medication freeflex might contain MSM. Regarding osteopenia, I advise her to continue calcium and consult local orthopaedic surgeon if he can help her with some medications that can build up calcium.

If her mobility is restricted, then better to get an x-ray and check the current stage of osteoarthritis and depending on it, we can suggest further treatment.

Consult an orthopaedician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Althuri Mohan Krishna
Dr. Althuri Mohan Krishna

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy