Q. My father is a known diabetic and hypertensive patient. Now got a sudden onset of double vision.

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor,

My father got double vision suddenly. Age 58 years. His BP was high. He has diabetes.

His CT Scan report says:-

Impression: Multiple calcified foci as described above. Diffuse cerebral atrophy.

Content: Two calcified foci without perilesional oedema are seen in bilateral occipital region. Prominence of cerebral cortical sulci are suggestive of diffuse cerebral atrophy.

What dose this mean?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

It seems from the history that your father is having sudden onset of double vision. He is a known diabetic and hypertensive.

The CT scan report you have mentioned here like diffuse cerebral atrophy is not of much significant and they indicate age related changes. The CT scan findings are not significant as a cause for double vision. First the symptom needs to be evaluated to find out whether it is uniocular or binocular. Uniocular double vision means double vision with one eye open. Binocular double vision means double vision which disappears on closing on eye and present only with two eyes being kept open. The most commonest in this age group is binocular double vision. The most common cause in your father for double vision is nerve palsies which affect the extraocular muscles like 3rd, 4th, and 6th cranial nerves. The cause is because of diabetes and hypertension. Most of them recover by 3-6 months. The treatment by vitamin B12 supplements and other vitamin B complex will help to hasten the recovery. Along with this strict control of diabetes and hypertension is required.

Do inform me regarding whether it is uniocular or binocular and status of diabetes and hypertension, so that I can guide you regarding further treatment. Hope the information is helpful to you.

Consult an ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Can hypertension cause dilated cardiomyopathy?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a medical question actually. There is a 30-year-old obese female with no known history who comes to the emergency room. She presents with a 2-month history of shortness of breath and pedal edema. When she comes to the emergency room she is found to be in a hypertensive emergency ...  Read Full »