Q. What is the reason for having double vision and is it preventable?

Dr. Rasmi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I experienced double vision in a 100-mile trail run around 18 hours into the race. The double vision cleared after 20 minutes of closing my eyes in the medical tent. After a week, I saw an ophthalmologist who did a few tests and concluded that it was eye fatigue. I experienced double vision in a triathlon just after the swimming portion (30 minutes into the race). What is the reason for having double vision and is it preventable? Is there any reason other than fatigue that causes double vision? It never happened in my regular day to day activities.

Dr. Rasmi

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

It seems that you have phoria (not strabismus) and the fatigue in eye muscle cause double vision. I advise you to decrease the effort. Take good time to rest and use vitamin B (1,6,12) and keep your vision good (always about 20/20) by glasses or without any problem in your vision.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

What causes double vision after an accident?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 16 years old. She met with an accident and got an injury on her face. It was operated by a maxillofacial surgeon. The upper portion of the right eye is red. She can open her eye, but she is having double vision. What to do?  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency result in unbalancing while walking?

Query: Hi doctor, Three years back, I had the problem of unbalancing while walking. I never felt any dizziness or spinning of head. I just had a feeling that I will fall down. I consulted a doctor and he told me that it was due to vitamin B12 deficiency and also prescribed me few shots of Vitcofol. Initial...  Read Full »

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full »