Cataract Surgery

My mother is 65 years old with initial stage of cataract. Is surgery necessary now?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is 65 years old. She has been diagnosed with initial first stage cataract in right eye majorly. I want to know is surgery necessary now, or is there a way out through medications to cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A cataract is a gradual opacification of a natural lens. It increases with advancing age. An early cataract causes a change in glasses number and vision corrected simply by glasses until the cataract is significant, and vision is not improved even with glasses. Secon...  Read Full »

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and want to assure you that it is usually just a benign increase in tearing in both eyes after surgery that causes such a picture. It settles down on its own and will not need any further treatment than your post-operative medication. In ca...  Read Full »

I am getting double vision even after cataract surgery. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Over the last few years, I have watched and photographed several lunar eclipses (no solar ever). About a year ago, I noticed I was seeing ghost images when I looked at the moon with either eye or both 9 w/left, 7 w/right. Went to Ophthalmologist and they said I need cataract surgery. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ghost images are a normal retinal phenomenon known as after images. You need not worry about it. You can see them clearer after cataract surgery because they are a normal retinal response to any image. The more the contrast, the more the ghost images or after images...  Read Full »

Can cataract surgery be had in a person with high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother has cataracts in her both eyes. She is advised to have a cataract surgery in her right eye. But her blood sugar level is 150 mg/dL at fasting and 190 mg/dL postprandial. Her HbA1c is 8.8%. We are confused whether cataract operation can be undertaken with this sug...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For any surgery be it cataract surgery or any other, blood sugar levels are needed to be in control. Fasting less than 110 mmHg and postmeal less than 140 though levels you have mentioned are not so high. The problem is your mother's HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 8...  Read Full »

Is it alright to use Lastacaft eye drops after a laser cataract surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I am trying to get help for a friend who had laser cataract surgery last year. She has Lastacaft eye drops that she would like to use and would like to know if it is alright to use.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lastacaft (Alcaftadine) eye drops is an antiallergic drug. It usually should be used only after the advice of your doctor. If your friend suffers from ocular itching, then it is alright to use it. It will not have any side effects on the cataract surgery, but make sur...  Read Full »

My eye pressure is fluctuating between 22 to 28. Do I need implant surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female of 62 years age. I was operated for cataract five months back for both the eyes. As my cataract was only 20 %, but eye pressure was 22. My OCT was done, which showed no damage to nerves. My perimeter too is clear. No family history of glaucoma. I was put on various drops...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a practice that if perimetry is normal, one waits to start any antiglaucoma medication. The protocol is to graph your IOP (intraocular pressure) for 24 hours or IOP at different times of day repeatedly for a week, then one can decide if you have glaucoma or if you...  Read Full »

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the cataract surgery, pupil may remain dilated due to surgical trauma to constrictor pupillae muscle or iris is damaged and becomes atrophic. Some drops also cause pupil dilation. Make sure you are not using any dilating drops with red caps such as Tropicamide, C...  Read Full »

Is cataract operation required immediately for me?

Query: Dear doctor, The patient is a 76-year-old male. I am uploading eye check-up report. Kindly advise on the following: Is cataract shown in the report? Is cataract operation required immediately? Is retina covered in the checkup? Any other observations by you?  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are early changes of cataract in both eyes but still, the patient's vision is totally correctable with the glasses prescribed. So, no need for cataract surgery as of now maybe a year down...  Read Full »

Diabetic patient with retina problem, what treatment would be suggested?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 54 years old. I am a diabetic patient since 24 years. I have a retina problem in both the eyes. I had a laser surgery in both my eyes two years ago. It was repeated last year with three injections of Avastin and this year, the laser surgery was done only in the right eye. But, I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have diabetic edema and diabetic retinopathy in the eye. From what I have seen, the left eye is fine but, the right eye is still swollen. The laser treatment w...  Read Full »

Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with gl...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all reports carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your doctor has correctly said that it is an advanced form of glaucoma. The treatment depends on the type of glaucoma, either open-angle glaucoma or closed angle glaucoma. It is diagn...  Read Full »