Cataract Surgery

How long does it take for the vision to improve after cataract surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother underwent epiretinal membrane surgery and cataract surgery before 12 days. Still, her eyelid is swollen and red. She has itchiness with pricky sensation. She has a lot of tears from the eyes. There is no improvement in her vision. It seems blurry than before and she is scared. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mayuri Borgohain

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Do not be worried. Continue using post-operative medications as suggested. Your mother has undergone a combined surgery 12 days back. Combined surgeries take time to get healed as there are more inflammatory reactions. At the same time, co...  Read Full »

Is it possible to regain vision after a corneal injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 6 years old, got an injury in the right cornea by a sharp pencil. The cornea was repaired with six stitches. After 18 days, cataract surgery was done. The next day morning after removing the patch, he saw clearly in open eye. But, from today, he could not see through his ri...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did he get any surgery for cornea, except sutures? Immediately after cataract surgery, it may be possible to see clearly. But,¬†usually it takes around six weeks to regain vision. Keep using the drops. Do not worry. For further information consult an eye care ophthalmo...  Read Full »

Is it alright to use Lastacaft eye drops after a laser cataract surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I am trying to get help for a friend who had laser cataract surgery last year. She has Lastacaft eye drops that she would like to use and would like to know if it is alright to use.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lastacaft (Alcaftadine) eye drops is an antiallergic drug. It usually should be used only after the advice of your doctor. If your friend suffers from ocular itching, then it is alright to use it. It will not have any side effects on the cataract surgery, but make sur...  Read Full »

I can see better without glasses despite being shortsighted. How?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 68 years old. I am moderately shortsighted, but still I can see better without my progressive glasses. How is it possible? I have been told that I would not need glasses in the days of less reading. I can go for hours in the morning before I realize that I do not have my glasses on. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is due to age-related cataract formation. Cataract is a normal age-related change in lens leading to opacities and hardness. Cataract of certain types causes changes in glass power; it can decrease in some people and increase in others depending on the type. It is adva...  Read Full »

How to control the sugar raised due to steroid eye drops?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had cataract surgery yesterday. His sugar levels were fine before surgery. Today he was given a Dexa injection 2 ml in his eye due to inflammation. After that the sugar levels have stayed between 280 -300 through out. Just before dinner, his sugar levels were 300 mg/dL. As ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your father’s blood sugar has increased because of steroids. As for your questions let me answer them one by one. Yes, Dexa injection increases the sugar so much and it will have decrease...  Read Full »

My mother is 65 years old with initial stage of cataract. Is surgery necessary now?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is 65 years old. She has been diagnosed with initial first stage cataract in right eye majorly. I want to know is surgery necessary now, or is there a way out through medications to cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A cataract is a gradual opacification of a natural lens. It increases with advancing age. An early cataract causes a change in glasses number and vision corrected simply by glasses until the cataract is significant, and vision is not improved even with glasses. Secon...  Read Full »

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and want to assure you that it is usually just a benign increase in tearing in both eyes after surgery that causes such a picture. It settles down on its own and will not need any further treatment than your post-operative medication. In ca...  Read Full »

I am getting double vision even after cataract surgery. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Over the last few years, I have watched and photographed several lunar eclipses (no solar ever). About a year ago, I noticed I was seeing ghost images when I looked at the moon with either eye or both 9 w/left, 7 w/right. Went to Ophthalmologist and they said I need cataract surgery. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ghost images are a normal retinal phenomenon known as after images. You need not worry about it. You can see them clearer after cataract surgery because they are a normal retinal response to any image. The more the contrast, the more the ghost images or after images...  Read Full »

Can cataract surgery be had in a person with high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother has cataracts in her both eyes. She is advised to have a cataract surgery in her right eye. But her blood sugar level is 150 mg/dL at fasting and 190 mg/dL postprandial. Her HbA1c is 8.8%. We are confused whether cataract operation can be undertaken with this sug...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For any surgery be it cataract surgery or any other, blood sugar levels are needed to be in control. Fasting less than 110 mmHg and postmeal less than 140 though levels you have mentioned are not so high. The problem is your mother's HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 8...  Read Full »

My eye pressure is fluctuating between 22 to 28. Do I need implant surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female of 62 years age. I was operated for cataract five months back for both the eyes. As my cataract was only 20 %, but eye pressure was 22. My OCT was done, which showed no damage to nerves. My perimeter too is clear. No family history of glaucoma. I was put on various drops...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a practice that if perimetry is normal, one waits to start any antiglaucoma medication. The protocol is to graph your IOP (intraocular pressure) for 24 hours or IOP at different times of day repeatedly for a week, then one can decide if you have glaucoma or if you...  Read Full »