Q. Can retained lens in the eye cause drooping of eyelid?

Dr. K K Agrawal
Published on Jul 02, 2019

Day before yesterday my lens got lost in my right eye. I thought it must have fallen. Later, my eye turned red and started mucus discharge and the next day the lens was expelled. So the redness got reduced but now there is mild drooping of the eyelid of that eye. Please help.

Dr. K K Agrawal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Most probably you have infection of the eye, due to lens being there for a long time. It causes inflammation of eyelids which causes drooping. You should start putting some antibiotic eye drops. Consult some ophthalmologist nearby to prescribe you one for it. Do not worry, it should resolve within a week with proper treatment. Also, do cold compresses, like, keep ice in a handkerchief and keep it over your eye. It will reduce the swelling. Take care that the infection should not spread to others.

It is not painful and discharge is there only when I sleep.

Dr. K K Agrawal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The discharge is most probably due to infection and resulting inflammation which is due to long term retention of lens in the eye. As the infection reduces, the discharge will reduce and ultimately stop. Do not worry, just consult an Ophthalmologist nearby to check it properly and prescribe some medication.

What is the reason for having puffy upper eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 3-year-old son. He has mild puffy upper eyes often. It seems to show variations in both the eyes, occurring in one or other day. On one day, it is not puffy. I can see his eyelids looking good. On the other day, it seems puffy involving one or both eyelids which are covered by t...  Read Full »