Drug Addiction

How to convince a patient with drug addiction for detoxification?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is voluntarily taking drugs and Marijuana (Cannabis) for the past one year. He wants to leave but have a fear of pain during detox. How should his fiancee and I help or convince him to go for medication? How to treat him emotionally? He wants to leave, and even after taking, he...  Read Full »

Dr. Guruvamsee Krishna Avvaru

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your son is taking only marijuana, it is easy to quit, but it is difficult to stop with advice if he is taking drugs like heroin or morphine. Suppose he is addicted to heroin, it is better to admit to any de-addiction center. If your son is using only marijuana, do n...  Read Full »

Why do I have weird and unusual sensations in my brain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am here because I have been dealing with a few health issues for about 2 years now. I feel weird and unusual sensations in my brain. The best way I can describe it is that it basically feels like there is a big bubble in my head, trying to fill in a missing gap or something, combin...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that it has been because of your medications only that you are having these symptoms. Your Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms were well controlled with Adderall (combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine), which is a more effective m...  Read Full »

Why do I end with sexual chats about minors after taking Cocaine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a very unusual problem and quite honestly, I am petrified of the reply. But, I feel I need to talk about it and get a professional outlook on what is going on in my head. I am ashamed to admit that for many years I have had on and off problem with cocaine. I suffer with low self e...  Read Full »

Dr. Roshan Bhad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, there is no need to be ashamed of yourself. Cocaine addiction is a brain disorder and can be managed with appropriate behavioral and pharmacological interventions. Cocaine is a stimulant drug, which causes euphoria, hyperactivity, disinhibition, sexual arousal a...  Read Full »

Do you have any recommendations on how to stop the drug Suboxone?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had about a six years dependency on the drug Suboxone. I do not abuse it, but I have tried several times to taper or wean. I have a white-collar high profile job and I really need to get this off to avoid problems in the future. Do you have any recommendations to get this off? I w...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Suboxone consists of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist. The drug is given in order to replace opioids during opioid de-addiction. If not properly tapered and doses taken regularly, then the drug is known to cause significant dependence....  Read Full »

Can you get addicted to 60 mg of Prednisolone if taken once a day for a month?

Query: Is there a risk of becoming addicted to 60mg of prednisolone (prescribed to anti-inflammatory purposes) once a day for a month? - I've already been prescribed this medicine, I'm not asking for a prescription. My doctor hasn't mentioned anything about becoming addicted and I didn't ask when I was in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. The dosage of prednisolone prescribed to you must be according to your body weight which is usually 1 Mg per kg or in same cases the physician may prescribe an even higher dosage depending on the underlying disease. The body definitely gets used to (addicted) long term s...  Read Full »

Can you please help me to come out of heroin addiction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am addicted to heroin and have been using a lot of drugs. I have been trying to quit these drugs, but I cannot. Whenever I do not use it, my body is painful and dull, and I cannot do any work neither do anything. My mind is all about the drugs whenever I do not use it. I really want...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Heroin addiction is known to be a chronic relapsing condition. It is positive that you are contemplating to stop using heroin again. You mentioned about being in detox before but relapsed again. You need to consult a psychiatrist in your city and get support from ...  Read Full »

Is It Tough To Overcome Benadryl Addiction And Get A Sound Sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am spending sleepless nights. I am struggling to fall asleep and often get disturbed by dreams. I feel restless legs throughout the night. The next morning when I wake up I feel fatigue. I am addicted to Benadryl to get sleep. But, I am trying to avoid it now. Please guide me for a s...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaints, it seems that you might have developed dependence on Benadryl. And it is quite possible that due to this dependence you might be having these symptoms. Benadryl is basically a Codeine-based cough syrup, which is an antitussive agent OTC (over th...  Read Full »

Can drug abuse cause memory blackouts?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 23 year old son. He admits to current marijuana use once or twice a week. He admits to a variety of drugs including cocaine, meth, heroin, LSD in the past year. His ex-mother in law says he currently uses cocaine and meth. He denies current drug use beyond pot. He says he has ...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. What we are dealing with here is a transient global amnesia (TGA). During these episodes, there is a temporary memory loss of recent events with preserved social and cognitive skills. The person typically does not remember the events of the l...  Read Full »

I need help for my rebound nasal congestion.

Query: Hi doctor, I am here to get help for rebound nasal congestion. Two years ago, I started using Oxymetazoline nasal spray for mild allergy. I continued using it because I thought my allergy is persistent. Recently, I realized that my problem is not an allergy but addiction to nasal spray. My symptom...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You suffer from a condition called as rhinitis medicamentosa. As you have rightly understood, it is due to the prolonged uninhibited use of nasal decongestants. Repeated use of the same causes decongestion temporarily followed by rebound congestion inside the nose. ...  Read Full »

Is long-term use of Etizolam harmful?

Query: Hi doctor, I was prescribed Etizolam 0.5 mg and Escitalopram for a month, as I had insomnia, stress, and anxiety. However, during the last week, it did not seem to work. I was struggling with sleep. Is it possible that I become addicted to the drug? Will I need a higher dose to get the same effect...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatrist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Etizolam is not a sleep medicine but an anxiolytic. Long-term use of benzodiazepines like Etizolam is not advisable because of tolerance and addiction potential. They are used for a short-term to support the main medications like Escitalopram, which need to be taken f...  Read Full »