Q. Is long-term use of Etizolam harmful?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was prescribed Etizolam 0.5 mg and Escitalopram for a month, as I had insomnia, stress, and anxiety. However, during the last week, it did not seem to work. I was struggling with sleep. Is it possible that I become addicted to the drug? Will I need a higher dose to get the same effect? Is long-term use of this medicine harmful?

#

• Etizolam is not a sleep medicine but an anxiolytic. Long-term use of benzodiazepines like Etizolam is not advisable because of tolerance and addiction potential. They are used for a short-term to support the main medications like Escitalopram, which need to be taken for a long-term.
  • If you have insomnia, you can discuss with your psychiatrist regarding adding short-term Clonazepam or Lorazepam. The dose of Escitalopram can also be increased. Besides, follow the steps of sleep hygiene:
  1. Sleeping and waking up at the regular time.
  2. Avoid caffeinated drinks at least 8 hours before sleeping.
  3. Avoid using TV, mobile, laptop, etc., at least half an hour before sleep. Instead, do relaxing activities like taking a shower.
  4. Avoid taking refined sugars and high-protein diet at night.
  5. Use your bed only for sleeping, that is, do not eat or watch TV on it.
  6. Do not take a nap during the day.
  7. Practice relaxation techniques like breath relaxation exercise daily, as it will help you relax and focus and eases your anxiety.
  8. Do not check the time repeatedly after lying down.

Remember every problem has a solution, you just need to try solving it and help is just a step away. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|