Q. Kindly suggest any alternative to NSAIDs that can be administered without triggering my allergy.

Dr. J N Naidu

I am allergic to NSAIDs. The reaction includes intense swelling of the face and difficulty in breathing. When I had my first baby, I was taken in for an emergency C-section. But due to my allergy, they were unable to administer the drugs they would usually give post-surgery. I was given Paracetamol which was not effective at all, and I was unable to sleep for the first 48 hours due to the intense pain. It was an extremely traumatic experience which I am terrified of having to relieve. I am now pregnant again. I would really like to know if there are any alternatives that can be administered without triggering my allergy.

#

You did not mention which NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) gave allergic reaction. Chemically NSAIDs may be different. You may be allergic to one group of NSAIDs, not necessarily to other group. Definetely there are alternatives. Feel free to contact for further details.

Thank you for your response.

So far I have had reactions to an injection of Rolac (Ketorolac Tromethamine) and a tablet of Advil (Ibuprofen).

#

Allergic reactions with NSAIDs Aspirin and Ibuprofen are more common. Approximately 2% of the population are prone to NSAIDs allergy. In women, it is more about 2.5% of people suffering from bronchial asthma are more prone to NSAIDs allergy. Acetaminophen in doses less than 1000 mg is relatively safe in patients with allergy to Ibuprofen or Ketorolac. One important point to remember is medication should be administered in a setting where anaphylaxis treatment is available. There are three types of NSAIDs Cox 1 selective inhibitor like Ketorolac, Aspirin, etc. Non-selective NSAIDs like Ibuprofen. These are likely to cause allergies. Cox 2 selective NSAIDs like Diclofenac, Celecoxib, Meloxicam, Valdecoxib, Rofecoxib are unlikely to cause allergies.

Thank you so much doctor. In that case, I believe Voltaren, which is Diclofenac, can be administered post-surgery for me, which is the usual drug they use hereafter a C-section but was not given to me due to it being an NSAIDs. However, is there a blood test or any kind of test to check if there will be a reaction just to be sure?

#

There is no blood test to check whether a drug causes allergy. Some times intradermal skin test is done. Safer drugs such as Tramadol, Morphine or Codeine related drugs which are not NSAIDs. You better discuss with your surgeon well before your surgery. Inform about your allergy problem.

|