Q. What is the possible treatment options for acid reflux?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I want to inquire what are the causes and possible treatment for acid reflux?

#

Hello.

The common causes of peptic ulcer disease are H pylori infection, Non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), drugs other than NSAIDs such as Tetracycline, Iron tablets, potassium supplements and Bisphosphonates, Zollinger Ellison syndrome, and carcinoid tumors. The treatment is according to the cause.

For H pylori, the treatment is combination antibiotic therapies including Amoxicillin, Clarithromycin, Levofloxacin, and Metronidazole adopted in different first and second line therapy. The world common treatment is Clarithromycin based triple regimen including Amoxicillin 1 gm twice daily for 14 days plus Clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily for 14 days plus any acid suppressant such as Omeprazole 40 mg once daily for six weeks. This is the first line therapy. There is a long list of second and third line rescue therapies for H pylori infection.

Treatment for NSAIDs is simply stopping the medicine and due course of Omeprazole for 8 weeks. The treatment of the rest of the above condition is variable which could not fit in this single page answer.

|