Q. How to stop taking the drug Suboxone?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I have had about a six years dependency on the drug Suboxone. I do not abuse it, but I have tried several times to taper or wean. I have a white-collar high profile job and I really need to get this off to avoid problems in the future. Do you have any recommendations to get this off? I would really appreciate any help you could mention. Thank you for your time in advance.

#

• Suboxone consists of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist. The drug is given in order to replace opioids during opioid de-addiction.
  • If not properly tapered and doses taken regularly, then the drug is known to cause significant dependence.
  • You are taking the drug since last six years and doses reduction is resulting in withdrawal. Best is to reduce the doses very gradually like about 20% every two weeks and complete stoppage should be done at about 8-10 weeks.
  • Gradual dose reduction in this manner will not cause any significant problems.
  • To reduce the craving and withdrawal symptoms, drugs like Baclofen and Pregabalin can be used. These drugs will make withdrawal from the drug easier and you will not have many symptoms. Please discuss with your doctor for these drugs.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|