Q. Should I stop my wife from taking dried basil and Acitrom together?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 08, 2020

My wife takes Acitrom 3 mg tablet daily. And, she also takes 1 teaspoon of dried basil with milk. Is it alarming? Do I need to stop her eating basil?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

• The interactions of basil with Acitrom (Acenocoumarol) have not been studied in detail. Hence, it is better not to take risk. Please ask her to stop basil.
  • If you can tell me the reason why basil was taken, I can suggest you some alternatives, which are safe to be used along with Acitrom.
  • I find that she is 81 kg. This is overweight for a person who is about 152 cm. Is she targeting weight loss?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

The reason to take basil was due to a home remedy to increase hemoglobin. She had a very low hemoglobin of 7.5 before and now it is 11.5. Also, her current PT/INR report says PT 17 and INR 1.58.

#

• Please ask her to stop basil. To improve hemoglobin, she can take the following. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Iron Ascorbate 100 mg (Ferium).
  2. Tablet Homin (Folic acid and Methylcobalamin)
  3. Capsule Corus or capsule Zincovit 
  4. Capsule Neurozenol
  • Take one tablet each in the morning after food for three months. My best wishes for her speedy recovery.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|