Q. What causes continuous dry cough for a month?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am having continuous dry cough for a month. I took antibiotics and cough syrup, still no improvement. What should I do next? Need to undergo TB test or X-ray. Please advice.

#

I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

In the pictures sent, there is no obvious large abnormality seen (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However the X-ray image quality is not very clear and if you are having dry cough not responding to antibiotics therefore more detailed investigation is required. TB usually causes chronic cough with fever and weight loss and should be confirmed clinically. Right now I suggest you get a CT scan of chest done to investigate for causes leading to cough for more than a month. Complete blood count is also important to know if you are having any infection or allergy.

|