Q. My mother has abdominal tuberculosis and duodenal stricture. Please help.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2021

My mother has abdominal tuberculosis, duodenum stricture, and obstruction in rectosigmoid and distal sigmoid colon. She does not take any food, not even liquid food. And she does not pass urine and stools from the past four months. Please help.

#

• Abdominal tuberculosis requires antituberculosis drugs for sure, but if a stricture is present even after taking medications for 3 to 4 months, then surgery is recommended to relieve obstruction due to stricture.
  • Presently, she is neither able to eat nor able to pass stool due to strictures. If her overall general condition permits, the small intestine is intact, then she should undergo feeding jejunostomy to provide nutrient directly into intestine bypassing the duodenal stricture.
  • For rectal and anal canal stricture, which is responsible for constipation, she might require enterostomy for diversion of stool. Although, before considering surgery as a treatment option, she must be evaluated for non-surgical options to treat strictures, endoscopy-guided dilatation.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.

For more information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|