Q. Whenever it is cold, I cough. Can you tell me what the problem is?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan

I am 26. I had dry cough from the 10th of last month and it did not go away completely. I was a smoker until the 2nd of last month and then gave up. I smoked for five years. Within the last few weeks, I must have smoked 10 cigarettes. My issue is whenever the temperature is cold, I cough and when it is sunny, I would not. I do not cough too much. It is once or twice in the morning and whole day nothing. Clear mucus and no medicine is required. I just drink hot water and everything becomes fine. Can you tell me what the problem is? I have no chest pain or throat discomfort. No weight loss. Whenever my stomach is gassy, I cough. Please help. I have smoked for five years. What is my cancer chance?

#

As you said that you have been smoking for five years and now have cough with clear mucus expectoration, it is most likely due to bronchitis. It is very common to have cough if you smoke more than five cigarettes per day.

Also, because of cold weather, it gets aggravated and takes longer to heal. So, better is to stop smoking as you did rightly and take a good expectorant like syrup TusQ-X 10 ml (combination of Ambroxol, Guaifenesin, and Terbutaline) three times a day.

Continue with salt water gargles and steam. It will help to loosen and liquefy the cough.

If there is no relief even after seven days, better get your chest X-ray done from your family doctor and get treated accordingly. Usually smoking for five years at this age does not cause lung cancer but you should stop smoking. Smokers' cough because of bronchitis is very common.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|