Q. I am using Refresh eye drops for five years. Will it be a problem?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Natarajan and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Dry Eyes or Myokymia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 66-year-old male with no hypertension and non-diabetic. Since many years I have the dry eye problems and have been using Refresh tears drops or Refresh Liquigel. Last year, I developed frequent twitching of eyes and eye specialist prescribed the same eye drops and fish oil 1200 mg that contains 360 mg of omega 3. Since then, the dry syndrome improved a lot. I am continuing to take the fish oil one gel a day soon after lunch. My eye pressure is normal (L 14 R 17) and no glaucoma. I have mild cataract formation in my right eye and I am advised to wait for another year for its removal. I use only reading glasses. However, one and a half years ago, one eye doctor who checked me for the change of eyeglasses suspected that I may have an open-angle problem and graded it as grade II. But in later check up with another doctor, it was ruled out. My cornea is fine and nerves are fine too. My height is 172 cm and weight 68 to 70 Kg.

Current problem and symptoms are as follows:

1. I have again twitching (not as frequent as it was during last year).
  2. Dryness in both eyes.
  3. Burning sensation especially during or after computer work.
  4. Mild pain on eyebrow area (occasionally).
  5. No discharge in both eye and no redness except one mild blast in the right eye extreme left the bottom corner.
  6. Normal Vision.
  7. No problem in eye rotation.

Concerns:

1. I am using the refresh eye drops for more than five years. Will it be a problem?
  2. Using GenTeal gel continuously for past two months. Will this be of any problem?
  3. Taking one capsule a day of fish oil (1200 mg of which 360 mg are omega 3). Will that be good as I am taking it for more than seven months now? Can I continue to take this? Seeking advise for improvement of my present condition or symptoms as mentioned above.