Q. I accidentally got eucalyptus oil in my eye. Is there anything I should do?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I got eucalyptus oil in my eye by accident while trying to open a bottle of the same. I tried flushing my eye with water which then I read on the internet not to use water. I then tapped olive oil around my eye as suggested on the Internet. My eye stung so much with the water but then it did not sting anymore. It was late at night. So, then I went to bed. Is there anything I should do?

#

The main thing to watch for now is an infection of your eyes. This is usually seen as sticking of eyelids with discharge especially after you wake up after sleeping.

For now, my advise to you is:

1. Use over-the-counter lubricant eye drops. These help by simply washing away any remaining oil in your eyes and soothe any remaining pain or stinging. A good brand is "Refresh tears eyedrops" (generic name: Carboxymethylcellulose) to be used six to eight times a day.
  2. Do not rub or put a finger into your eye or do any other manipulations. These are likely to induce more inflammation and worsen your condition.

I advise you to see a doctor in case of the following:

• Sticky discharge from your eyes causing your eyelids to stick together especially after you wake up from sleep.
  • A dip in your vision.
  • An increase in pain or irritation or foreign body sensation that is not getting better with the lubricant eye drops.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|