Q. I cannot read anything. How to reduce my eye dryness?

Dr. Prashant Shukla

What must I do to reduce my eye dryness? I cannot read anything for a long time. Please help.

#

Dryness is a prevalent complaint encountered in your place because of climatic variation, dust, and prolonged use of a computer. Sometimes dryness is associated with convergence weakness of eye muscles.

If you are a computer user then better take frequent breaks preferably after every 20 minutes for say about two minutes. If you travel a lot then use protective UV goggles.

Better to get your tear formation checked by an ophthalmic surgeon on Schirmer strip and check for the wetting of strip. Normal is 25 mm degree of severity of dryness depends upon the maximum limit of wetting of strip in five minutes. Also please get your fusional range checked for muscle weakness so that necessary eye exercises can be advised accordingly. Also, get your refraction done so as to be sure you do not have a refractive correction. A minor cylindrical error can also disturb while reading.

Dryness associated with convergence weakness.

Use lubricating eye drops. A very good lubricating eye drop is Systane Ultra (Propylene Glycol) which is needed to be used at least four times a day for a month by the meantime get you investigations done and revert anytime.

Avoid prolonged computer use, dust. Use good light while reading preferably a table lamp. Use protective UV google while going out.

|