Q. I cannot read anything. How to reduce my eye dryness?

Dr. Prashant Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 13, 2019

What must I do to reduce my eye dryness? I cannot read anything for a long time. Please help.

Dr. Prashant Shukla

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Dryness is a prevalent complaint encountered in your place because of climatic variation, dust, and prolonged use of a computer. Sometimes dryness is associated with convergence weakness of eye muscles.

If you are a computer user then better take frequent breaks preferably after every 20 minutes for say about two minutes. If you travel a lot then use protective UV goggles.

Better to get your tear formation checked by an ophthalmic surgeon on Schirmer strip and check for the wetting of strip. Normal is 25 mm degree of severity of dryness depends upon the maximum limit of wetting of strip in five minutes. Also please get your fusional range checked for muscle weakness so that necessary eye exercises can be advised accordingly. Also, get your refraction done so as to be sure you do not have a refractive correction. A minor cylindrical error can also disturb while reading.

Dryness associated with convergence weakness.

Use lubricating eye drops. A very good lubricating eye drop is Systane Ultra (Propylene Glycol) which is needed to be used at least four times a day for a month by the meantime get you investigations done and revert anytime.

Avoid prolonged computer use, dust. Use good light while reading preferably a table lamp. Use protective UV google while going out.

Is it alright to use Lastacaft eye drops after a laser cataract surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I am trying to get help for a friend who had laser cataract surgery last year. She has Lastacaft eye drops that she would like to use and would like to know if it is alright to use.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lastacaft (Alcaftadine) eye drops is an antiallergic drug. It usually should be used only after the advice of your doctor. If your friend suffers from ocular itching, then it is alright to use it. It will not have any side effects on the cataract surgery, but make sur...  Read Full

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry, but there is no permanent treatment or cure for dry eyes, but yes with treatment, your life will become comfortable. To treat dry eyes, we need to find the type and severity of dry eyes. The type of dry eyes is established by the clinical examination of the...  Read Full

Shall I use the prescribed eye drops for a 3 month old?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 months old baby got an infection in his right eye. It became red and appears like a layer covered the eye. The tears keep coming from his right eye. He was prescribed to use Alcon Vigamox sterile 5 mL and Ciprofloxacin ophthalmic ointment. Is it fine to use for a 3 month old?  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, your child seems to have developed some kind of eye infection. The treatment that is being given is absolutely perfect. However, up to the age of 6 months, many children have eye discharge. Most eye discharges are non-infective and caused mainly d...  Read Full