Q. Can steroid eye drops raise the blood sugar levels?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My father had cataract surgery yesterday. His sugar levels were fine before surgery. Today he was given a Dexa injection 2 ml in his eye due to inflammation. After that the sugar levels have stayed between 280 -300 through out. Just before dinner, his sugar levels were 300 mg/dL. As advised by our doctor have gave him 16 units of Mixtard instead of 14 which he takes regularly along with regular sugar medicines.

My questions are: Does Dexa injection increase the sugar so much and when will the effect go? In addition, he is also putting one drop of steroid eye drops Predmet every hour. From tomorrow, it will be once every three hours. Can this also increase the sugar level? From tomorrow how should we manage the sugar levels? Will the effect of steroids go away? Please see the attached prescription of all the eye drops after cataract surgery.

He is taking Mixtard Insulin 30/70 - 50 units in the morning,14 units in the night, Glycomet GP2 1-0-1, Linagliptin 5 mg 1-0-0, Fibator 10 mg -0-0-1, Metolar 25 -1-0-0, Dynapres 0.4 - 0-0-1, Arreno 1-0-1, Ecosprin 75 1-0-0, Thyronorm 25 mg one tablet from Monday to Thursday and two tablets from Friday to Sunday, Cap Uprise once a month.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your father’s blood sugar has increased because of steroids. As for your questions let me answer them one by one.

Yes, Dexa injection increases the sugar so much and it will have decreased effect once your father is off steroids completely.

Yes, steroid eye drops Predmet (Methylprednisolone) can also increase sugar level.

Regarding managing the sugar levels, if his fasting is above 250 then increase his evening dose of Insulin by adding two more units. If his dinner blood sugar is 250 mg/dL above then add two more units to his morning dose of Insulin and continue monitoring accordingly. If drops to 200 then do not increase his insulin at all and maintain at that dose of insulin.

Keep following his blood sugar closely and watch for any signs of hypoglycemia as well like increase sweating or shivering or headache or hunger or cold skin, etc.

| 

Do we need to give any insulin in the afternoon too and approximately what percentage of current increase is due to injection and how much due to drops? Because the injection was just a single dose so can we see improvement by tomorrow?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

No need for any insulin in the afternoon. As per the percentage the major increase is due to injection like 95% approximately. Yes, that is a possibility.

| 

Dry Eyes After Cataract Surgery

Article Overview: This article deals with the surgery-induced dryness of the eyes, and this is important because often it may so happen that you may not be informed about this possibility before undergoing surgery. So, this article will help you be more informed about the outcome. Read Article

Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Eye surgeries including cataract surgery and refractive surgeries have advanced with newer developments in the field. But regardless of the surgery that you undergo, the incidence of dryness increases post-surgery and the incidence is higher in the predisposed individuals. This can be seen in patie...  Read Article

Why are my blood sugar levels fluctuating so much?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old working woman, and my weight is 80 kg. I am not diabetic, but my recent reports showed my fasting blood sugar level to be 105 and HbA1C was 6.2. After seeing the report, I got scared, so I redid the test after a week. This time, my fasting blood sugar was 143 and pos...  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now